2019 IMSA Mid-Ohio and WEC Spa

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Lots of Ford GT racing this weekend. Check it out.

#67 sitting on the pole at Spa after breaking the Pro lap record.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
D5p0-fQWsAE9H2A.jpg:large

Bad weather coming in a few minutes. Crazy snow last night.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I do believe this is the first race I've ever watched under heavy snow.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
47717601012_d6c2b0361f_b.jpg

Reactions: 68Rcodeman

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Yeah, I’ve never seen that before either. Crazy.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Hour 5:
The WEC Six Hours of Spa is under the safety car with one hour to go following a major accident for the No. 66 Ford GT of Stefan Muecke.
Muecke’s GTE-Pro contender, which battled turbo issues, lost control going up Eau Rouge and slammed hard into the barriers.
Per Ford, Muecke was checked and released from the medical center, with no major injuries other than some bruising.
Up front, the No. 8 Audi R18 of Oliver Jarvis leads the race outright, with Signatech Alpine (LMP2), AF Corse (GTE-Pro) and Aston Martin Racing (GTE-Am) pacing their respective classes.
Trouble for the leader:
Kazuki Nakajima has been forced to enter the garage from the overall lead of the WEC Six Hours of Spa, with smoke pouring out of the back of the No. 5 Toyota TS050 Hybrid.
The Toyota had led the second round of the FIA World Endurance Championship season for almost four hours until a reported engine failure struck it with one hour and 55 minutes remaining.
Nakajima completed an in-lap with smoke coming out of the exhaust, until he entered the pit garage. Team members swiftly crowded around the front of the car, blocking it from view.
Toyota Gazoo Racing has confirmed that both of its cars have now retired from the race.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well, not a great result for the final factory effort at Spa, but that was a bananas race. Never seen anything like that in racing. GT too easy on the tires to really have a chance. Constantly lacked temp coming off safety cars and FCY and monster changes in the weather. At least it was entertaining. When they pulled the safety car for the final time...holy cow are these guys nuts to drive flat-out in blinding rain (sleet, snow).

47720371452_6b8c7398af_b.jpg

Hopefully the IMSA guys can do better from pole tomorrow.

47772907071_1a726bc9dc_b.jpg

Reactions: canibl and GKW05GT

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Frankly surprised that the race (Spa) wasn’t red flagged.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Technically it was. Just with 10 minutes left.

Hopefully Drew Gibson will have some good snow pics.

32830737777_37edbfcc4a_b.jpg

46985215274_57ffe082d8_b.jpg

32830737587_d3234b2fcc_b.jpg

Reactions: canibl and Cobrar

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten

Last time I raced there, 17% of the cars never finished. I get it.

Reactions: BtwoG and dbk

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Technically it was. Just with 10 minutes left.

Hopefully Drew Gibson will have some good snow pics.

32830737777_37edbfcc4a_b.jpg

46985215274_57ffe082d8_b.jpg

32830737587_d3234b2fcc_b.jpg
Great pics!!

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
well...it shouldn't be snowing at LeMans ;)

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
How to explain that the Ford GT has achieved the best time in practice and such a poor performance in the race, at SPA ? Is this a tactic for Le Mans ? Yet it seems to me that the BOP for Le Mans is already fixed.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
How to explain that the Ford GT has achieved the best time in practice and such a poor performance in the race, at SPA ? Is this a tactic for Le Mans ? Yet it seems to me that the BOP for Le Mans is already fixed.

BOP usually have our GTs lowest boost meaning lowest HP and torque- usually by a lot. Ballast usually makes them close to the heaviest cars on grid. They also have their boost limited at different points in RPM. I think the GT is also running the smallest displacement engine. On a flying qualifying lap where there is no traffic, these talented drivers can use the efficiency of the design to still post blistering times. In traffic, if the momentum is held up, the other cars with more HP and torque, can pull car lenghts out of each turn, Time after time other teams will get a lap down and be able to make it up. If the GTs make an error or have a mechanical, it usually means they will not make it up. BOP also limits how fast and how much fuel, different for different teams making pit strategy hard to use. In essence, We have to be near perfect with no mistakes to have a chance at winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: canibl

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
BOP usually have our GTs lowest boost meaning lowest HP and torque- usually by a lot. Ballast usually makes them close to the heaviest cars on grid. They also have their boost limited at different points in RPM. I think the GT is also running the smallest dispalacement engine. On a flying qualifying lap where there is no traffic, these talented drivers can use the efficiency of the design to still post blistering times. In traffic, if the momentum is held up, the other cars with more HP and torque, can pull car lenghts out of each turn, Time after time other teams will get a lap down and be able to make it up. If the GTs make an error or have a mechanical, it usually means they will not make it up. BOP also limits how fast and how much fuel, different for different teams making pit strategy hard to use. In essence, We have to be near perfect with no mistakes to have a chance at winning.

Thank you APOLLO, for you answer.