Is two layers Expel overkill?

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
My Expel installer has recommended two layers of wrap on the complete front end area. Yeah I get it, the more the better, but Expel is so great isn't this just overkill?

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I would think its a bit of an overkill. Then you could say why not 3 or 4 layers??? Eventually the car will get bigger and bigger!!! :D

Reactions: Stef

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I believe it is better protection for larger stones. One layer will fight off little rocks but not big ones.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Multiple layers on door bottoms and side splitters have been done by some owners

Reactions: ByeEnzo and Stef

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I did two layers over the front and along the sides, especially the aero tunnel area.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
I spoke about this with my installer and will be doing 2 layers on the nose of my NFGT when I get it along with some clear bra skid plates(just in case) like we did under the bumper of my Superlegerra which doesn't have a rubber rub strip and is painted underneath.The front Carbon lip on the NFGT looks really vulnerable to the accidental scrape from bad roads.We just stacked the clear bra to make them thick enough to protect from an accidental scrape.

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Just curious as I am getting my 2019 Heritage soon Does anyone make a protector for the front lower valance. Stillen made one for my GTR and I put them on both cars I had. Nice feeling to scratch them than the carbon fibre front end. Thx My serial number is K00123

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The front splitter of the NGT has plenty of ground clearance in Normal & Sport mode. With the front end lift feature it can clear most obstacles.

Ed

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
You guys talked me into it, going with two layers.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I’ve got two layers on all the lower sides, plus a triple layer on the bottom of the door sills

Reactions: Ed Sims

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I went with 10 mil on impact areas and the 8 mil on everything else. They make protective strips for the front splitter.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Sliplo is the product for under front splitter.

Attachments

• 20190301_132631.jpg
    20190301_132631.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Interesting.... Here is a NGT application video.

After watching, I can see applying about a quarter of what they did (more like an eighth).

Also looks like they dont sell direct.

Last edited:

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
The back wheels throw up so much debris into the front of the back bottom of the wheel well that xpel gets shredded. Protective strips there or replacement xpel strips for there, or just don’t drive it!

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
Thank you. I am also looking at changing tires also as I am not a fan of PS2's. Also the comment on rear wheel protection was helpful. Just counting the days now. Is there a part number to the slip lo product?

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Interesting.... Here is a NGT application video.

After watching, I can see applying about a quarter of what they did (more like an eighth).

Also looks like they dont sell direct.

interesting idea but really odd that you cant buy it and they would want you to go to their installer, seems shady... and as good an idea as this is, there is nothing special about the material, its just some plastic and double sided tape. seems like these guys just want to hype up their product and overcharge people I suspect thats why he is wearing a Drs coat, he is subliminally getting you ready to bend over

this reminds me very much of the clear protective film industry, if you look online it is very difficult to find big bulk rolls of clear warp film they just dont want people to buy it in bulk that way they can control the price on installations, if you could get the film in bulk and knew the real price of the film people would be less willing to pay extra to get their car wrapped.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Agreed on the scuff strips.

Also true on the film, but now having played quite a bit with the films on the invisible places on the NGT, it is waaaay harder to install than it looks. There is considerable expertise associated with a good installation. Anything good always costs a premium regardless of the film costs alone.

interesting idea but really odd that you cant buy it and they would want you to go to their installer, seems shady... and as good an idea as this is, there is nothing special about the material, its just some plastic and double sided tape. seems like these guys just want to hype up their product and overcharge people I suspect thats why he is wearing a Drs coat, he is subliminally getting you ready to bend over

this reminds me very much of the clear protective film industry, if you look online it is very difficult to find big bulk rolls of clear warp film they just dont want people to buy it in bulk that way they can control the price on installations, if you could get the film in bulk and knew the real price of the film people would be less willing to pay extra to get their car wrapped.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
My Expel installer has recommended two layers of wrap on the complete front end area. Yeah I get it, the more the better, but Expel is so great isn't this just overkill?

Stef,

Every surface of my GT has at least 1 layer of Suntek self healing film. The front section has two. The underside of both doors have 4 layers as do the rear edges of all 4 wheel openings (which get creamed). The low sharp edges in front that can take a 90 degree hit have 3. The aero tunnel behind the front tires goes from 4 to 3 to 2 and a ton of small stones fly through that opening. Arizona is rock city, just awful. My GT has 3000 miles and has been above 160 MPH with zero damage so far. A lot of members have seen my GT at events and you can't tell it's got that much film on it. It looks great.

Trying to fix paint damage on a new GT would be a lot more expensive that some precaution now. At least that's my take on it.

Chip

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Hadn't heard of sliplo before. I like the idea a lot better than riveting on some skid plates, which seems like the usual solution (uh, wait- you want to damage the car with rivets to prevent damage?).

Anyone who has had it done- cost? Chance of damage upon removal?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Unlike car film the Sliplo will alter aerodynamics. We won't notice it on the road but...

Ed