300 Mph

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Didnt want to distract from this amazing achievement.
Thus, another post.
What tires are suitable to run that mph?
Thanks.
Mark

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Honestly, I don't think ANY tires are suitable but we run the Hoosier R7 even though the only response we have gotten from Hoosier is they have no experience with those tires at those speeds and can not recommend them. I can tell you, we only use a brand new set of tires for approximately 2 runs so lets say, I have a BUNCH of tires laying around with less than 5 miles on them.... I believe the last order of Hoosier tires we placed was for 40 of them just for M2K.....

Thanks again,
Mark Heidaker
First to 300 mph!!!!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hi Mark. Besides reaching the milestone, there is a lot of good tech info that is worthy of sharing. Not just that you did it, but how you did it. I'm not sure there is a book in it, but there is certainly some good material for a tech journal article. Have you considered writing something up?

Reactions: Special K

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
With so much going on over the last few days we have hardly stopped to just let all this sink in. I just sent a message to Dave to see how long we have actually been chasing this 300 MPH mark and he just let me know that the first time we ran the car was back in 2009 during the Austin Ford GT Rally. Wow how the 10 years have gone by. It seems like an eternity but then again it just seems like yesterday we were in Berclair, Texas watching Ray Hoffman chasing his dream. At some point I would put something together of what we went through to get where we are today and I agree, there is a lot to be learned from the over engineered technology back in the 05/06 cars that just somehow still work today at an unbelievable speed. As everyone said, these cars are way over engineered for its time and all we did was improve on the power to get us there in a mile. What a GREAT job Ford Performance did with these cars and I feel so thankful to have had the opportunity to own 2 2006 GT's and cant wait till my 2019 arrives in July......

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Figured Hoosier would be excited to run on a record setting car. Michelin seems to see the opportunity there as they provide design and testing for Bugatti and Koenigsegg top speed runs.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Was just curious.
An incredible achievement!
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Mark

Mar 28, 2019
Man as a driver that would have been my #1 concern--tire shredding apart at those speeds from the G's. Serious balls to be the first to try those tires at those speeds. Wonder if you tested them first by free spinning them at over 300 mph to see if they could handle the centrifugal force.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
With so much going on over the last few days we have hardly stopped to just let all this sink in. I just sent a message to Dave to see how long we have actually been chasing this 300 MPH mark and he just let me know that the first time we ran the car was back in 2009 during the Austin Ford GT Rally. Wow how the 10 years have gone by. It seems like an eternity but then again it just seems like yesterday we were in Berclair, Texas watching Ray Hoffman chasing his dream. At some point I would put something together of what we went through to get where we are today and I agree, there is a lot to be learned from the over engineered technology back in the 05/06 cars that just somehow still work today at an unbelievable speed. As everyone said, these cars are way over engineered for its time and all we did was improve on the power to get us there in a mile. What a GREAT job Ford Performance did with these cars and I feel so thankful to have had the opportunity to own 2 2006 GT's and cant wait till my 2019 arrives in July......

2009? that does bring back memories. just make sure to include who was the fastest that day in 2009 :)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The T-shirt and Flip Flops King of the Mile.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Quickest to go home. I remember