What parts make sense to buy and hold?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
As the number of GT's becomes fewer each year and the OEM parts become more scarce, what parts make sense to buy and hold for my personal car? Or...do you think there will ever be a real shortage of parts available at a reasonable price? I know we have experienced some steep price increases on some parts I.e. Headlights, now even FRPP mufflers new from distributors but what parts make sense to buy and hold for later for my personal car? Particularly wear items or maintenance items?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Seats, fenders, headlights, taillights?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Seats, fenders, headlights, taillights?
I hope and pray to never crash my car. Are these I may need if I don't or items just to have because they are obsolete?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
You can be assured that the parts you buy and hold will not be the ones you need.....

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Wear parts. Sinovac convinced me I needed to horde a set of FRPP rotors. Wheels. Can always use a spare set, eh? Windshields. Can't have too many of them if you drive your car.

OTOH, some wear parts may not be a problem for many years...e.g. clutches.

The biggest wear item seems to be the most problematic now. Tires. Hard to get and you don't want to store them anyway.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Fuel filler tube, Clamshell vents, floor mats, front dam and maybe a rear diffuser depending on your backing skills.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
The only part that "makes sense" to buy and hold to me, would be another GT !!!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have a bunch of stuff, that I actually got through the forum in the 06-07 range, I stopped. buying anything, I didn't know where to stop. Don't have any body panels.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Side stripes!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I figure between me and spec racer we could almost build a car

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I guess I just think that Rich & Denis at GT Guy LLC will always find a way to put things back together, so I only keep the OEM parts that got replaced by improved items (like Scott's Coilover Ohlins), or by optional parts from aftermarket suppliers (like FRPP Exhaust). I do have spare wheels, but use all of them, as they have different tire sets on them.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
control arms
lights (lens)
gearbox

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Murphy's law says that whatever you buy and hold, will NOT be amongst the parts that you will need.

Reactions: Ed Sims

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Murphy's law says that whatever you buy and hold, will NOT be amongst the parts that you will need.

Tires, unless you are EP.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

Yes, but you will be well positioned for trades.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Points and distributor caps!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Tires, unless you are EP.

lmao

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Points and distributor caps!
Oh, you mean for a GT40 right? That's another forum -
attachment.php

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Everything. Every part, GT item, or anything remotely related to the Ford GT. Everything. :thumbsup

That way, when you kick it my kids will have a windfall of NOS on the market. OR... the need for x part becomes large enough that someone repros it. Screws anyone?

hoard.jpg