Off Topic: Is the Viper cabin hot & sweaty inside

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I just did a google search on Viper sill-heat and 5 pages showed up.

Seems like the side-sills, tranny tunnel, and firewall all emit massive radiant and ambient heat.

These might be early 90s versions of Vipers, but I hope the '08 dont bake us.

ps, I am a stickler for arctic A/C....many a supercar has mickey mouse a/c.

I was concened about this on the GT.

BONY told me the GTs A/C in cabin is colder than his ex-wife's heart and cold enough to hang meat (hopefully no connection).

That sealed the deal for me.:tongue

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
If possible eliminate the cats in the side sills, if not go to a high flow cat. Tint the windows. Very significant improvement in cabin heat reduction.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Mine is still stock, and I have very little heat coming in. With the AC on, there is no problem at all.
I am doing a full exhaust, and it will eliminate the crossover pipe, which will cut out a lot of the heat. I understand that the new 08 will already have it removed, so interior heat will be kept to a minimum.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
and it will eliminate the crossover pipe, which will cut out a lot of the heat. I understand that the new 08 will already have it removed, so interior heat will be kept to a minimum.

Won't removing the cross' pipe make the rig sound like an idling UPS truck though? 'Seems to me that was ONE of the reasons it was installed by the factory in the 1st place, wasn't it? Or am I all wet on that? :shrug

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have been test driving an 08 for a few weeks now and seems to be fine...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Won't removing the cross' pipe make the rig sound like an idling UPS truck though? 'Seems to me that was ONE of the reasons it was installed by the factory in the 1st place, wasn't it? Or am I all wet on that? :shrug

From what I am told, it sounds better without. I may sound like crap, but I wont know until I actually do it.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA

Dang Jerry. Not only a member, but the player president.:biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My '06 is fine with the air on, but roll the windows down and run for awhile and it gets mighty hot.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have never had an issue with any of the 9 Viper's I have owned including the two 06's I currently have. I think for the most part it's car magazine Vetts lover Viper hater bashing.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
How's that 08 feel Mr. Awsum? Much different than the two 06's?

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
OK... I was just having a little fun with ya... NOT driving a 2008 around. I did sit in one while in Detroit and can tell you the shifting is soooo much better... much improved. Many new and improved parts added to the new beast also.

We watched one of the new engines on the dyno hit 617hp while there also

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Damn. I thought you had some exclusive VCA Pres rights :lol

I read that the shifting would be improved. New tires, more power. Sounds like a recipe for good times. It should be fun to watch the battles in the next 2-3 years.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
The Heat issue was a major issue on the older cars. The Gen3 is much better. Is it perfect? No..it is a sidepipe car. Easy to fix if you "can't stand the heat".

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I tinted the glass on my 1996 GTS Coupe and found a huge difference in cabin temps.