Coolant temperature overheating on track.

khalid0

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2016
Dubai
Just took my 2019 GT to the track today in Dubai, the engine coolant temperature was rising very quickly, it turns orange at 118C then if I continue to push its gives me a warning that power is reduced for safety, anyone faced similar issues on track?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
What was the ambient temperature on the day you ran? Were you shifting near redline? In Southern California, we have many hot track day temperatures. No experience with the NFGT but with most cars, backing off the ideal shift points by 1000 rpm or so may make the difference between being able to stay out and having to come in. The AC condensor is problematic on almost all street/track cars and I would imagine no different on the NFGT.

Reactions: khalid0

khalid0

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2016
Dubai
The day temperature was 34C to 38C, yes was shifting close to redline, I would do the same in a Porsche GT car and it will run all day with no issues, I thought the Ford GT based on an LM car would have more tolerance, I’m thinking to change the coolant to a more high performance. Anyone upgraded there coolant or other cooling hacks!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Tough task for a street car to run full-tilt in those kind of temperatures. Some tips to help you;
1. Shifting below redline should be a lot easier on the car - and probably the best thing you can do to control temps
2. Don't run AC on the track
3. Water only (NO coolant mixed) would be best for cooling
4. When/if car becomes a more dedicated track car, remove the AC condensor.

Two of the more major changes to make the NFGT suitable as a street car was; 1) the addition of a comparatively heavy suspension and requisite hydraulic system, and; 2) the addition of air conditioning - including a condensor in front of the radiator. On top of these changes, I believe the street car also has more HP/TQ and therefore has even higher cooling requirements than the race car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I just tracked mine last week and had no overheats issues
Call your concierge’s and they can reach out to Ford tech for you

Reactions: THamonGT

khalid0

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2016
Dubai
Tough task for a street car to run full-tilt in those kind of temperatures. Some tips to help you;
1. Shifting below redline should be a lot easier on the car - and probably the best thing you can do to control temps
2. Don't run AC on the track
3. Water only (NO coolant mixed) would be best for cooling
4. When/if car becomes a more dedicated track car, remove the AC condensor.

Two of the more major changes to make the NFGT suitable as a street car was; 1) the addition of a comparatively heavy suspension and requisite hydraulic system, and; 2) the addition of air conditioning - including a condensor in front of the radiator. On top of these changes, I believe the street car also has more HP/TQ and therefore has even higher cooling requirements than the race car.
Thank you

khalid0

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2016
Dubai
Already did, they will run diagnostics and update me.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
In addition to ambient temperature, I'd also consider in the analysis Relative Humidity as higher RH can reduce the air capacity to transfer heat from the radiator. My recollection from a few years ago when I used to live in Dubai is that in October afternoon RH can get into the 60% to 70% range which when combined with high ambient temperature can make it very difficult for radiators to shed excessive heat generated by extended red line shifting.

Last edited:

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas

Some great feedback here!
If tracking in Maine last week there was a 50 degree swing with his temp..... 38C is 100.4F

khalid0

GT Owner
Apr 14, 2016
Dubai
In addition to ambient temperature, I'd also consider in the analysis Relative Humidity as higher RH can reduce the air capacity to transfer heat from the radiator. My recollection from a few years ago when I used to live in Dubai is that in October afternoon RH can get into the 60% to 70% range which when combined with high ambient temperature can make it very difficult for radiators to shed excessive heat generated by extended red line shifting.
That is true, but I swap cars between my NGT and my Porsche GT2RS in same track session with no issues in the Porsche. It is not acceptable to me that the NGT has heating issues.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Intercooler issue?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I ran Big Bend Road Race last year, 120 miles at continuous speeds between 150-170mph, no problem. Also tracked at COTA without any overheating issues

Reactions: Ed Sims

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I ran Big Bend Road Race last year, 120 miles at continuous speeds between 150-170mph, no problem. Also tracked at COTA without any overheating issues

Apples and oranges. High ambient temperatures combined with high RPM shift points on a road course is going to be the biggest challenge for the cooling system.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I would run at least 1/2 gallon of antifreeze for lubrication with the water and make sure you put distilled water in it for corrosion purposes. Also like many above said try shifting a little lower rpm.

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
Apples and oranges. High ambient temperatures combined with high RPM shift points on a road course is going to be the biggest challenge for the cooling system.
COTA is a tough track on a lot of cars. I have a buddy who frequently runs that track and said the ZL1 1LEs frequently have overheating issues there.

Surviving at COTA, especially during summer, is a big task.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
COTA is a tough track on a lot of cars. I have a buddy who frequently runs that track and said the ZL1 1LEs frequently have overheating issues there.

Surviving at COTA, especially during summer, is a big task.

Agreed. I should have been more specific insofar that I was trying to refer to the Big Bend Road Race. Tracks like COTA ARE definitely a challenge on cooling systems. OP is citing high ambient temps 90-100F. I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think there's a unique problem/issue with the OP's NFGT. Any NFGT when doing hard track work in those kind of ambient temperatures is going to struggle (as is the 05-06 GT). The comparison shouldn't be, "i've tracked my car and it didn't overheat" but rather "I've tracked my NFGT in 90-100F ambient temps and had no issues with overheating/limp mode." Anyone done that?