First U.S. Built Supercar? It's Not The NSX!

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Since most of Forum members probably do not subscribe to Automotive News, thought I'd share this letter published in today's edition. Acura referenced its new NSX as the first Supercar built in the U.S. in its early press releases. The state of Ohio picked up that line and used it for its headline for its advertising in AN. I questioned it:

Automotive News, February 6, 2017

First supercar built in U.S.? Not NSX
As the owner of a 2006 Tungsten Grey Ford GT, I'm having difficulty wrapping my arms around Ohio state advertising in Automotive News (Page 19, Jan. 16), touting the Acura NSX as the first supercar built in America. Unless, of course, it does not consider Michigan part of the U.S.
Since the 2005-06 Ford GT has a "computer-limited" top speed of over 200 mph and goes to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds, it is unquestionably a supercar. Its 550-hp supercharged 5.4-liter engine was designed and built in the U.S.
The new Acura NSX is unquestionably stunning and delivers all the attributes of a modern supercar. But it is not the first supercar to be built in the U.S.
MARTYN L. SCHORR
Sarasota, Fla.
The writer, an automotive public relations consultant, is the author of Ford Total Performance.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
It is the first US built supercar, owned by a Japanese company!:facepalm:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Attaboy, Marty.

Howard

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Pretty egregious oversight.

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
The state of Ohio didn't make it up. Early Acura press releases cited that "alternative fact." Much of the NSX's engineering, development and design work started in Japan.

wheelb

GT Owner
May 22, 2014
Miami Fl
i owned new NSX it still cant even compete with my 06 GT lol. like acura fashion and its old nsx counter part its the slowest car in its class lol. I hated it sold it in 60 days.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
The first USA supercar is the Vector.
vector-1.jpg

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The first USA supercar is the Vector.

How about the Saleen S7 or the "SSC something"?

Ed

Tomcat

GT Owner
i owned new NSX it still cant even compete with my 06 GT lol. like acura fashion and its old nsx counter part its the slowest car in its class lol. I hated it sold it in 60 days.

Funny, I have the old NSX And was waiting for a new NSX but got tired of waiting and got my GT instead sounds like I made the right decision

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
At 3800 lbs (dry? C&D doesn't say) the NSX is a little on the porky side. Of course the Aventador is a little over 4000 lbs.

Ed

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
How about the Saleen S7 or the "SSC something"?

Ed

These came later. Saleen in 2000, SSC in 2004. Possibly Mosler is technically an earlier produced USA supercar, but to the world unknown. The Vector came out in 1989 and could get to 200mph. More important it was stunning. I recall having a dark silver Vector on my bedroom wall poster (along a white Countach poster). Iconic car that still creates a stirr when appearing in public.

Reactions: Brombear

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
These came later. Saleen in 2000, SSC in 2004. Possibly Mosler is technically an earlier produced USA supercar, but to the world unknown. The Vector came out in 1989 and could get to 200mph. More important it was stunning. I recall having a dark silver Vector on my bedroom wall poster (along a white Countach poster). Iconic car that still creates a stirr when appearing in public.

do you know how many vectors were made? didn't it go through one round of changes, I wonder if what the desirability would be for one should it was to go on the market I always remember the movie rising sun with sean connery had that car in it.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
do you know how many vectors were made? didn't it go through one round of changes, I wonder if what the desirability would be for one should it was to go on the market I always remember the movie rising sun with sean connery had that car in it.

I had to google that, just 50. Here's the story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Motors
This is the fate of most supercar builders. Even SSC seems to have ceased production. They have been working on the new Tuatara, but I haven't received any news about this car for 2 years or so. Until now only Pagani has been able to continue to build super cars and florish. A year ago Pagani turned down an offer of 150 million euro on his company.

Concerning value in 2014 a W8 was auctioned for 275K USD. http://www.rmsothebys.com/mo14/monterey/lots/1992-vector-w8-twin-turbo/1067559
That's a slight increase from a Vector sold in 2010 in London (200K euro).

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I loved that design while I was teenager and still do. Unfortunately never driven one.

The inside looks more like a train or plane, tons of switches for everything but the kitchen sink.

Funny I could identify a foreign part that is used to open rear compartment which is from the Fiat/Bertone X1/9 (the first mid engined car I had at 20, only 85hp, but begged for going on curvy roads).

MO14_r171_012.jpg

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Not so expensive considering this small batch. Maintaining it might be a different challenge I guess.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
Indeed, no idea if Wiegert still has the moulds for body parts in case of damage. But I suppose most parts are off the shelf or can be copied from the original part by any machine shop. It's not rocket science although the cockpit looked like it! Heavily inspired by aircraft, the gear shift looked like the throttle lever of a jet engine. I also don't know if they ever got it to 200mph and haven't seen a proper road test either. Would be nice to send Doug deMuro after one. He has a great gift of finding all quirks of a car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
At R10 the car collection we visited had a vector.

koenigsegg Might be another.

Until now only Pagani has been able to continue to build super cars and florish.
).

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I loved that design while I was teenager and still do. Unfortunately never driven one.

The inside looks more like a train or plane, tons of switches for everything but the kitchen sink.

Funny I could identify a foreign part that is used to open rear compartment which is from the Fiat/Bertone X1/9 (the first mid engined car I had at 20, only 85hp, but begged for going on curvy roads).

View attachment 45307

I think I have the same speakers in my home theater :rofl

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
At R10 the car collection we visited had a vector.

koenigsegg Might be another.

I was about to say that,,, seems like they have taken different routes though while horacio is so concerned with the design of every piece and having it stand on its own as a "work of art" christian is more concerned with the engineering integrity, I like the huayra I can just feel the mans OCD oozing out of that car.

Hans Efde

Jan 16, 2016
You are right, Koenigsegg seems to be making profit. Forgot about him. But I wonder how many cars he sells, I don't see many cars appearing. Looking at the extremely low output I have the feeling he mainly does contract development work for other manufacturers or sells production rights of his inventions. Lots of exciting stuff as innovative suspension, extremely high combustion rate, camless engine, hybrid without gearbox etc.

Last edited: