Ford GT and Ferrari 458 playmates

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents -
I had a great day yesterday taking both the GT and 458 out to a small road course with some friends. The course was very nice, but limited without a long enough straight away to allow speeds much more than 80mph. Fortunately, had lots of curves and turns to allow one to test the cars' handling. It was the first time I got to drive them both back to back like that. Both cars are pretty amazing in their own way, though very different even to a novice like me. I feel very fortunate to have them to play with.

Here are some side by side photos that might be of interest - I can post comments on the cars later.

Attachments

• GT458a.jpg
    GT458a.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,873
  • GT458b.jpg
    GT458b.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 3,205
  • GT458c.jpg
    GT458c.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,410
Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Some more...

A few more photos...

Attachments

• GT458d.jpg
    GT458d.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 4,141
  • GT458e.jpg
    GT458e.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 2,650
  • GT458f.jpg
    GT458f.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 3,791

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
How were the times between the two?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
The cars performed pretty differently, even to me. Some thoughts - keep in mind I've had my 2005 GT for some 5+ yrs and have put about 12,000 miles on it. The 2010 458 is fairly new to me, having put about 1,200 miles on.

On the road course, the GT felt more planted and stable around the curves than the 458, though I was quicker in the 458. My GT has a Whipple putting out 735+ rWHP, but it didn't matter on this tiny course as I just kept it in 2nd gear most of time. It also has a really cool custom traction control system (from Shadowman) that let me hit the curves a little harder than I normally would have without it. I am still experimenting some with it. I have to say I really prefer the GT's brakes to the 458's carbon ceramics. The GT brakes bite so hard, and are much more consistent feeling. The 458's feel a bit softer with more pedal travel.

The dual clutch tranny in the 458 is so amazing, it's a bit mind boggling. Although my GT has 200 more rWHP than the 458, the 458 just feels very quick. In part it may be because I don't have to fumble with gear shifter at all (like I usually do) or worry about spinning the wheels in the 458. The short gearing, dual clutch, and fancy electronics in the 458 make it pretty darn quick on all but the longest straight aways. The 458's steering is a bit more precise feeling to me than the GT's. Around this road course, the 458 felt a little light around tight corners, almost like it was bumping up/down some when hitting them quickly. It could be the electronic nannies kicking in, or just lesser aero or suspension. It's hard to beat the GT's stability at speeds up to and beyond 200mph. With all the Ferrari's electronics set to race mode, on this small course, I was able to run it consistently a little faster in the 458. A more skilled driver could probably exploit the GT's power and handling better.

Overall, the 458 is more comfy for me at 6'5", with lots of head, leg, and shoulder room. The dual clutch is pretty fantastic and the advanced electronic nannies on the car allowed me to really take the turns quicker and more confidently than I would in the GT. The exhaust note is that high pitched Ferrari shriek. In race mode, when you hit the gas, it wails pretty amazingly. A driver in a near by car told me his hair stood up when I floored the 458. My GT's music is a bit subtler with its Ford (Borla) Racing muffler giving it a low end growl that many folks there preferred. Certainly a different exhaust, or lack thereof, on the GT would make it more dramatic. I intentionally didn't go with an X pipe or similar, as didn't want it to be too loud as I drive it often.

In summary, I'd have to say:

- Transmission - the Ferrari's dual clutch is a pretty amazing piece of technology. Can't directly compare it to a 6 speed - more a matter of personal preference. In general, I prefer the interface of the driver with a 6 speed. The paddle shifters are obviously faster, and an automatic mode exists for it when tooling around town in traffic.

- Brakes - GT brakes were MUCH nicer to my foot than the 458's standard carbon ceramics. I have to say for me, this was the biggest overall difference.

- Steering - 458 more precise feeling, not to say the GT's steering doesn't feel great to me.

- Suspension/aero/overall sense of stability - my GT with its stock suspension felt more planted around this relatively slow speed road course

- Exhaust note - totally different, thus to each his own. Some folks loved the 458's shriek in race mode, others the low end grunt of my GT with its Ford Racing muffler. I prefer the GT's sound 95% of the time, except at the occasional wide open throttle where the 458 is pretty spectacular. During routine highway cruising, the 458's exhaust note can be a bit annoying and too high pitched for me when in Race Mode. It's a little softer in Sport Mode, though still a little less desirable to me than the GT's.

- Interior space - a lot more room for 6'5" me in the 458. In addition, if you are taller or bigger than most, the 458 has a few seat options which can affect space quite a bit. After getting to sit in all 3 seat options one day at the Ferrari dealer, I found the 'standard' electric seats roomiest, Daytona seats a bit less, and sport/racing seats the least.

- Interior styling and ergonaumics - the stock GT's interior is clean, spartan, and has controls that are very intuitive and user friendly. Of course, there are lots of cosmetic upgrades available for the GT's interior out there. My nicely optioned 458 is awash with fine Italian leather, carbon fiber, colored stitching. The 458's electronics are very confusing in that you have to go through various menus on the 2 LCD screens to perform some functions. Just changing radio stations is very tricky for those of us who don't like to read owner's manuals.

- Storage space - 458 has a nice sized front trunk (boot) where I could fit 2 helmets, track bag, water etc... There is also a small glove box and some space behind the seats. In GT - just a few towels in the trunk.

- Daily driveability or special occasion usage - for a weekend getaway or a quick trip out for dinner, the 458 is roomier, has a bit better rear and side visibility, more storage space, and easier doors to get in/out of when parking. For that unique feeling of being in a 'race car' or for special occasions, it is hard to beat the GT.

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Love the black rims on both cars.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Nice honest review

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In the beauty contest I think the prize goes to the GT. Lower and I like the slope of the rear end.

It's good to see them together. Thanks for the pics.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
In the beauty contest I think the prize goes to the GT. Lower and I like the slope of the rear end.

Have to say I agree with you. The GT (as mentioned in some other threads) is more timeless in styling to me too. While other cars come and go, I have no intention of selling mine.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

I think the GT's rear is even lovelier with a bumper delete. It's still on my wish list, though I've actually used my bumper many times to push or pull the car into tight spaces where I can't open the door.

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Two ridiculously badass looking cars.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Great cars, great write-up!

And black is whack!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Somedays you want the world's best Kansas City filet, and others a really great lasagna. It's good to have options.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
You have had both your cars longer than I so I will defer to you but add my 2 cents:

1 we are close in height . I am a little over 6'4" but I am more comfortable in my GTs as are my 6'7" sons

2 the 458 clutch is insane. No way to even compare it with anything else

3. Love the sound in race setting in 458 but the Heffner and Henessey exhausts on my GTs sounds way better than my 458

4. 458 is better traveler for sure.

5 I have top of the line sound in 458 and GTs still sound better

6 steering much more precise in 458.

2 of the best cars on the road just astonishing that one is 6 years old and still competes at the very top level

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
You have had both your cars longer than I so I will defer to you but add my 2 cents:

1 we are close in height . I am a little over 6'4" but I am more comfortable in my GTs as are my 6'7" sons

2 the 458 clutch is insane. No way to even compare it with anything else

3. Love the sound in race setting in 458 but the Heffner and Henessey exhausts on my GTs sounds way better than my 458

4. 458 is better traveler for sure.

5 I have top of the line sound in 458 and GTs still sound better

6 steering much more precise in 458.

2 of the best cars on the road just astonishing that one is 6 years old and still competes at the very top level

Thanks for your thoughts. I think the comfort thing is so subjective and at our heights, pretty dependent on torso/leg ratio and shoulder width.

I also prefer the exhaust on my GT and I just have the Ford Racing muffler. The Heffner, which I've heard, is great. It is just a little louder than my regular co-pilot (wife) likes for day to day use.

It is indeed pretty amazing that my 2005 GT is almost 8 yrs old and still amazing. Ford nailed it !

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for the wonderful pictures and comments.

Both gals look wonderful and even though very different look great together and as you shared; made for another wonderful moment in time.

Takes care

Shadowman

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Thank you for the wonderful pictures and comments.

Both gals look wonderful and even though very different look great together and as you shared; made for another wonderful moment in time.

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks Bill. The custom traction control system in the GT was really nice on this tight track and well dialed in.

Last edited:

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
What is this traction control you talk about?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
What is this traction control you talk about?

Custom aftermarket system installed by Shadowman's shop maybe a year or two ago.

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Beautiful, I need an all black GT :)

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Great comparison.

I don't have a 458 so I am AMAZED to read you guys say the GT ( going) on 7years old can still hold it's own against such a cutting edge bit of kit.