WSJ Article - Fast Cars, Bad Drivers

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California
Article on the increasing frequency of wrecked exotics from inexperienced drivers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118186544305536109.html

-----
On the way to an M.B.A. class near San Diego one recent morning, Nasar Aboubakare, a 40-year-old private-equity firm president, lost control of his new 550-horsepower Ford GT and wrenched it over a lane divider. "The car is like a wild animal," he says.

To compound matters, it's tough to be inconspicuous when you damage a $150,000 automobile. After Mr. Aboubakare's accident, several passing motorists snapped pictures while one leaned out the window of his pickup truck and shouted: "What an idiot!"

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Whilst it will nearly always be driver error, I do have some sympathy. There is a feeling, when driving your first 'exotic' that it will take any corner - 'it's designed to' springs to mind. So you push and push - eventually physics takes over and you're a passenger.

Fortunately I've not had this happen - I drive quickly (quicker than Gierkinky, but frankly, who doesn't :lol ) but don't take the cars to the edge except on the track.

As an aside, I was given a high performance day instruction on the Vanquish when I bought it - and took that big old lump to the edge. An extremely impressive car - you think it's going to let go, but it doesn't.

Fortunately (or otherwise) my GT is just too precious to take to the ragged edge - I'd be really very upset to bend it.