Who has driven there GT in the Rain

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I am wondering if any GT owners have driven there GT in a good Rain storm or regularly drive theres in the Rain. If you have does it have any ILL effects on the car. I would think you would get alot of water spots in the engine compartment because of all the screens for Engine Air Intake the GT has.Thanks

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
No problems at all. I´ve driven the GT on snow and during
heavy showers.
The GT hasn`t seen any garage from inside since Sept .2005,all seals are perfect. (All my cars are parked outside because I want to enjoy them all day long)

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Substantial ill effects....

DO NOT DRIVE THESE CARS IN THE RAIN AS EXPENSIVE AND POTENTIALLY TRICKY REPAIRS MAY BE REQUIRED AS A RESULT!!! Case in point...I was caught out in a rain storm quite a way from home. Damage resulted when I cut my evening out with my girlfriend short to get the car home and out of the rain. :ack Hey, we'll go see that guy in concert the next time he comes to town! Further damage ensued when we got home. She says, "I like having sex when it's raining outside". GREAT, I'll be right in just as soon as I finish spending THREE HOURS cleaning up the GT! :willy When I finally got back there her enthusiasm was noticably diminished. I am still repairing the damage. :bored

Chip

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I almost got mine home on the first day without getting wet, but just got dumped on about half way home. Amazing since I said I would NEVER drive it in the rain. That's also significant because it was the last rain going into a truly record dry spell - this is Arizona and the desert.

Anyway, car was fine and had no leaks. However, there were a lot of water spots in the engine compartment. The biggest problems was the the tires kicked up all kinds of fine rocks / sand all over the suspension (I had to cross a couple of running washes - four wheeling in the GT).

It also took me about three hours to get everything clean again and get rid of "spots". Fortunately Chip's girlfriend wasn't waiting for me so I had no damage control to worry about. :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Chip, I think your post points our that most of us are past our prime :frown and interests change as we age. In the long run we have figured out that cars are a lot cheaper. :cheers

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The only issue is that water gets into the engine compartment, especially on the bulkhead window separating the passenger and engine compartments.

Also depending on how much water enters the engine compartment you may produce enough steam to totally obscure rearward vision.

Dave

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have driven mine in the rain - but was more concerned about sticking to the road than getting it dirty! It handled fine - but I didn't push it.

The shock springs were the toughest to clean....

Chip - I suspect that you should have cleaned the car after being 'romantic' with your girlfriend. Firstly, it would have enhanced your performance - I generally try to think of something else, to know that your GT is in the garage dripping with mud would be a suitable distraction. Secondly, how cool would you look to her? Satisfy her urges and then go down to the garage to work. :biggrin

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Rain, Rain, So What

I took my 2006 Tungsten Gray Ghost on road trip#1. Eleven days on the road. A total of 3,838 miles. Each mile better than the one before it.
Itinerary went like this: leave home - Seattle, drive to Eastern Washington- Wenatchee - had lunch with my friend Gary. Continued east on I-90 to Spokane to see my son and show him my new car. He loved it. Then drove S.E through Washington wine & wheat country towards Eastern Oregon. Continued on to Boise, Idaho to visit my cousin. He liked the car. From there I went to Salt Lake City, Utah. Headed south so I could visit the new Miller Motor Sports Park in Tooello. (If not the nicest race track facility in the US it ranks right up with the best of the best.) From Tooello I headed south to Las Vegas to visit another cousin. She liked the car. Although we had a "Portico Car" didn't go down to the Strip. Left Lost Wages about noon. My sister called from Florida and gave me route instructions to the Mojave Desert route to Palm Springs. Got to Palm Springs in 3:25. Not too bad for a 300 mile drive.Left Palm Springs and went to Sonoma. The Gray Ghost turned over 4,000 about 10 miles north of the top of the Grapevine. I love the new power.
Met my friend Gary, who I had lunch with on day one, for dinner. Continued north on U.S. 101 along the California coast to Cresent City. From there east to I-5 then north to Portland. Took my insurance lady for a ride and out to lunch. She liked the car. That afternoon I drove back home to Seattle.
A few observations from Road Trip #1. The GT is one Superior Car. Never did turn on the radio, the music was behind me. At 90 the wind noise from a half rolled down window was about the same as 35. About one camera phone picture for every 100 miles traveled. Every other block when in town. The truckers like the car. 2nd gear is great for passing on a two lane road. Start at 35 and merge back into the right lane at 100 keeping it in second gear. All in the space of a semi with two trailers. Stay in the right lane and open your window and smile for the photo oportunities of the passing cars. If you don't, they tend to get erratic and unpredictable. Was nearly ran off the road a couple of times by kids trying to get a picture. They All Liked The Car.
Now back to the title of this missive. Rain, Rain, So What. Of the eleven days of driving, 9 were in rain, hail and snow. Went over four moutain passes that ranged from 3,500' to 6,000' all with snow on the road. No problems what so ever. At freeway legal speeds the glass engine cover stays absolutely dry. I was just amazed at that. Engine compartment got a little wet, and had a slight leak from the engine hatch in very heavy rain. The rear window never got a drop on it. The car stayed real clean. The aero work Ford did on the GT's is amazing. The tops of the rear fenders had dirt streaks on them, as did the rear, but the rest of the car was wet but not dirsty. The wipers and washers work just fine. The front splitter can push up to 5-6" of snow without a problem. I did stop and remove some accumulated snow from the air ducts on the front at a rest stop. The defroster works better than any car I've even owned.
Now for the two dry days of my trip. If you want a fun ride go from Primm, Nevada to Scion. Two lane blacktop, decent shape this year. It crosses the Mojave. The only time I checked my gas mileage on this trip. Averaged 23.5 across the desert.From Scion you head to 29 Palms. Familiar if you were a Marine. The down the mountain to the low desert, and a visit with my golf clubs. Suuny all the way. Managed to go 108 knots for 45 minutes straight. Fun Stuff. Also it was sunny from Portland to Seattle . I-5 is boring but I had to get home.

Moral to the story - these cars were meant and designed to be driven. In all types of weather. I expect to be over the mileage limits for the warrantee period by this October.
A dirty car can always be cleaned up but a clean car is just growing dust in your garage. Not much fun just looking at your GT. Well that's not quite true, fun to look at but more fun to drive.
I hope to have 100,000 miles on the Gray Ghost with in 4 years. Kept clean, maintained well and driven. Lots of smiles per mile. Earlier this year someone suggested a bag full of 100's as the perfect traveling accesory. I concur. I was alone on this trip. The right seat held a small overnighter and a soft duffell. The Trunk held some cleaning rags, two pairs of tennis shoes and a fleece pullover.
Road trip #1 was a shakedown cruise. Road Trip #2 is to the Gala Rally in Detroit. That will be a month long and about 10,000 miles, give or take a few miles. Bad weather be damned.

Get er out of the garage and on the road.

Reagrds to all
PL510*Jeff

P.S. At about 120 on a wet road the spray nearly all goes under the car. Very little to the side. Watch out for truck and studded tire ruts that are full of water, duh, the car gets a little light then. The areodynamics that went into this vehicle is amazing. Some truckers came up to me a rest stop and said that they were watching and the spray from under the car goes through the splitters and tends to merge together about 25' behind the car. They said it looks like a roo :rofl :cheers ster tail from a hydroplane. Next time I'll have a rear facing camera to capture this myself.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'm in Florida where it rain almost every day. Not too bad yet, but I expect to get caught in rain a lot.

I've driven in the rain with no trouble, my engine compartment does not get that messy.

I put her in the garage and dry her off when I get home so I don't get water spots on the paint.

CHAD

GT Owner
Feb 17, 2006
Sarasota, FL
It is a car. A great car but still a car. Drive it whenever you want.

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Great story!!!:cheers

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
Jeff,

Any feedback on getting in and out of the car in the rain? I am taking a trip with a friend this weekend and it looks like we will hit some rain. Yesterday when I was washing the car I noticed that when I open the door when the roof is wet, I get a big puddle in the seat, not so good. Any feedback / advice (other than the obvious carry a towel or something).

thanks,

rich

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
05redrich said:
Jeff,

...I open the door when the roof is wet, I get a big puddle in the seat, not so good. Any feedback / advice (other than the obvious carry a towel or something).

thanks,

rich
Open the door very slowly and the water will stay where it is.
Closing has to be done very quick.

Much more fun is the opening of the trunck after
or during rain. Try it and write me your experience.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
ChipBeck said:
DO NOT DRIVE THESE CARS IN THE RAIN AS EXPENSIVE AND POTENTIALLY TRICKY REPAIRS MAY BE REQUIRED AS A RESULT!!! Case in point...I was caught out in a rain storm quite a way from home. Damage resulted when I cut my evening out with my girlfriend short to get the car home and out of the rain. :ack Hey, we'll go see that guy in concert the next time he comes to town! Further damage ensued when we got home. She says, "I like having sex when it's raining outside". GREAT, I'll be right in just as soon as I finish spending THREE HOURS cleaning up the GT! :willy When I finally got back there her enthusiasm was noticably diminished. I am still repairing the damage. :bored

Tough spot to be in Chip! I understand the need to clean your car right away. Let's just say that if a drive in the rain put me in the mood (& it probably would if I was in a GT), I wouldn't have been able to wait 3 hrs. Nope, I would have raced out to that garage w/my man to help him dry it as quickly as possible... That's what I call a win-win situation - I get to spend more time w/the GT & only have to wait 1 1/2 hrs for...other things. :banana

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Wet Seat

Rich - there's no good way to keep the seat from getting wet. I do carry a terry cloth towel behind both seats. When you're outside the car and opening the door with water on it, try wiping the water off around the door seam, then use the towel to dry your hands. Seems to work o.k. that way.

Be aware as stated earlier the if you open the "trunk" hood that water will run off into the storage compartment. I hessitate to call it a trunk. I've tried all kinds of different ways but it still gets the stuff wet. I usually keep a chamois in the area between the trunk seal and the wiper arms so I can soak up the water.

Go for it. Enjoy your weekend ride.

PL510:Jeff

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Hmmm. Thanks to those who have reported on how the car is in the rain. I was under the impression that my GT would melt in the rain. It has never been out of its air conditioned garage except on clear days.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Well Chris,

Since the rainy season is just about to start in good ol' FL, I guess you'll find out. What I'd be more concerned with is... How do you think it will handle getting struck by lightning? :lol

Good luck!!!!

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
silly question

Struck by lightning? Everyone knows the GT is too fast for that. :bored

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ditto, it hasn't caught me out here in the midwest flatlands!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
fjpikul said:
Ditto, it hasn't caught me out here in the midwest flatlands!

perhaps, though even if you can outrun the tornadoes & lightning, those blizzards will get you every time!!! :wink I wonder... Can you fit a shovel, boots, & snowsuit inside that little car? Do they make snow tires for the GT? :rofl

I hear you were blessed w/wonderful weather this past weekend. Hope you had a chance to get out & have fun!!! :cheers