Shadowman

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
why only 15 psi?

it will run cooler :thumbsup

if you race your car in hot weather on a short track road course less psi will make more power as your motor will pull timing if it gets detonation, so lower PSI is not always a bad thing in the case of road racing.

when it comes to drag racing and 1 mile top speed shootouts you want max PSI......

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Hi Shadowman.
Thanks.
Sounds like 19lbs is the number ...... looks like I need a new boost dial. hmmm
SM..... You got any dyno's of stock V's Whipple.
I'd love to see how the Whipple makes ass shoving power from 2,000 onwards.
The majority of the time the engine spends is in the range of between 2,000 - 4,500rpm, that's what I'll drive in.
I will only sneak past that when the time is right.

Apples

Apples

The supercharged gals shine in normal driving and when one wants to exercise them they will pull like a freight train from 2500 to 6000 and after this still build power however once in this arena is where the TT shines as it got it's breath around 4-4300 and by 6k she is just finiding her sweet spot.

Now in response to your other comments; yes a new boost gauge would be part of the package and 19 psi is the direction I would encourage and lastly as for dyno sheets yes I have several within the files.

All the best

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Oh and a awesome tune from Shadowman!! Thanks Shadowman you rock:cheers

Thank you for the kind words; it was my pleasure to be included as a member of your project team.

All the best

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
your motor will pull timing if it gets detonation

While the GT has no means to detect detonation directly, the ECU does carefully monitor Inlet Air Temps (IAT) and water temps and will aggressively retard timing in a self-preservation mode :biggrin

Aug 25, 2006
There are "NO" knock sensors and the PCM will "NOT" pull/remove timing based on detonation; the most significant reason that timing will be pulled/removed is based on the discharge air temperature and when it is above 150 degrees in OEM trim the process begins and can be extreme; so much that the gal will in fact nose over almost as if the key was turned off.

As nota4re shared; there are several sensors that can affect timing however non of them will protect a gal that is detonating

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...when it is above 150 degrees....

242°

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think he ment that the ECU begins to retard timing at 150 degrees... at 242 the engine basically goes into limp mode.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Would someone mind posting their dyno charts from stock to whipple to turbo?

thanks
MM

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Comparison graph on my car Pulley & tune only (stock 2.3L) against pump gas TT

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 156

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
A good average on a conservative well balanced street tune is 735 rwhp

Takes care

Shadowman

I have a GEN 1 Whipple with a 19lb pulley and "Tony's" tune. I finally got a chance to dyno the car a few weeks ago and was surprised to "only" have 661rwhp 603 ftlbs... this was at an elevation of 2600ft. Is this typical? Unfortunately the A/F meter wasn't working so I don't have that to read...this was on a dynojet.

Aug 25, 2006
I think he ment that the ECU begins to retard timing at 150 degrees... at 242 the engine basically goes into limp mode.

Correct

Shadowman

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.

I've been in that mode WAY to many times at the track! :frown

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've been in that mode WAY to many times at the track! :frown

Yesir, it is definitely a 'limp' mode kind of feeling. :ack