Voltage meter gauge inop

KKOSH

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2015
Milford, MI
Hi everyone, the voltage meter gauge on my 05 GT doesn't work. Everything tests fine though. What is the recommended procedure here? New gauge? We were thinking of just leaving it if it meant messing around with the IP.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome to the site, you should reach out to the forum leader DBK with your VIN to change your status to owner, if you would like to have more access to the site.

There are HUNDREDS (if not thousands) of posts with regard to the OEM gauges and their possible failure. The "cliff note" version of these threads is that all if the small gauges, have been reengineered, and are available directly from Autometer (the original supplier). Option 2 is a complete dash swap from a company called Speedhut (search and you will find many pics etc). The Speedhut direction is relevant, as there is not a reengineered version of the speedo and tach, so if either of these fail, you have to take your chances and buy the OEM gauge from Ford and hope for the best. For reference the FULL set of speedhut gauges is ~$1200 all in (this is the direction I went after I lost a couple gauges).

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Before you do anything, charge the battery fully, turn on the ignition, wait til all the gauges have done their initiating sweep-round, then start her up. The dead gauges sometimes come back to life if you do this, its happened to me many times and my gauges have always resurrected themselves

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Very true, My post was making a large assumption, that its been this way for a while, after many key cycles.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Check your battery ground strap too

Make sure it's clean, tight and secure.

This strap causes multitudes of electric issues

KKOSH

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2015
Milford, MI
Thanks for the input everyone. I just replaced the battery and it is still inop. Should I just not worry about it or what are my alternatives for a new one? Someone said the module might by bad which I hear is very expensive

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I replaced my entire gauge set with one by Speedhut after 3 speedos, 1 voltmeter, 1 fuel gauge died.

Ed

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What Ed says is the complete solution. Autometer (search for them here) is now making and selling directly replacements for the small gauges at less than Ford (and the Fords have just as high of a chance of failing as the ones installed). But, if you lose one of the large gauges (speedo, tach) then the only replacements are Fords or to use the Speedhut solution.

Many threads on this - just use the search function at the bottom of the page.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Speedhut is perfect option they look fine and work great for a price you can't beat. Put the others up for display and forget about gauge issues.

KKOSH

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2015
Milford, MI
I talked to Autometer and their replacement is about $225. He did say I could send him my current one and they could probably fix it for less than the price of a new one. We still don't know though it is the gauge. It could a bad module which I hear is very very costly. Need to test the gauge first and see if it is at the gauge or before the gauge where the issue lies.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It is very, very, unlikely to be a gauge control module - I'd say almost impossible. The gauges are all on the BUS - as is the gauge control module. As such, there can really be no bad "channel" or something similar with the gauge control module. A lot of peeps on here trying to be helpful but sometime reiterating info that is not accurate. If you start the car a couple of times and the SAME gauge is not responsive, then it is not a low battery or a poor ground, it is a gauge (or sometimes a sending unit for that gauge). As your voltage gauge has no corresponding sending unit it is simply a bad gauge. No mystery. Order a replacement from Autometer, order the Speedhuts, or live with it.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Autometer can fix bad OEM gauges? That's the first time I've heard that. Good news for the speedo/tach failures?

Howard

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
for it to be a gauge check module, none of the gauges or odometer would work at all from my experience, not just 1 or 2 gauges.

KKOSH

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2015
Milford, MI
Autometer can fix bad OEM gauges? That's the first time I've heard that. Good news for the speedo/tach failures?

Howard

Yeah, I found it kind of nice he didn't try to push me into buying a new gauge. He said send us the old one and we should be able to repair it. Thanks everyone for the help. I will remove the gauge and try that. Good to know that it most likely isn't a module. :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I will remove the gauge and try that.

Step 1: Tape the binnacle (large plastic surround piece) like hell. It would blow your mind to know how much THIS piece is if you should happen to scratch it. (As I recall, this plastic piece was North of $2,000???????? I had though that my parts guy had misquoted me be allegedly he double checked with Ford. Gulp!)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Step 1: Tape the binnacle (large plastic surround piece) like hell. It would blow your mind to know how much THIS piece is if you should happen to scratch it. (As I recall, this plastic piece was North of $2,000???????? I had though that my parts guy had misquoted me be allegedly he double checked with Ford. Gulp!)

Yes, do this for sure IF you decide to remove. I have just lived with mine out for a year. It's the only gauge that I can live without. If/when others go, I'll replace it.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I think my Ford speedo was almost the cost of the entire Speedhut set. The Speedhuts are guaranteed for life. After you lose a few gauges you will kick yourself for not using the Speedhuts at the beginning.

Ed