VIR Today !!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Gentlemen,

I'm pretty sure I still hold the all time record for grass mowing/collecting during a 120 mph off track excursion at VIR. After 6 years I'm still finding pockets of grass and mud in my GT. :willy :willy :willy A great race today.

Chip

Monica restrained me from commenting earlier... :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, you and Tony Nowak both mowed a lot of grass that day. As I watched the race today with ByeEnzo, I pointed out the bad spot on the straightaway. I'll never forget you sliding off that track that day.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool race. Lapped traffic made it a challenge. It will be fantastic at COTA to be a Ford fan!

Ed

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
We need to win the last to races for sure. Crunch Time!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Yes Chip...- I remember the "Bumble Bee Lawn Mower " from VIR. I will admit however that I had a lot of fun with my FGT on the Track in the rain for those two days !!
It got dirty and gritty, but cleaned up well. And Tony got in trouble for 'backing down the track in reverse" after he went off....

Dave made me some very nice photos of my Midnight Blue GT being passed by the Matech FGT with the 50 ft tall "rooster Tail."!
As Margaret and I watch the VIR Race , I showed her the photos on our wall....
The Track does look a bit different with the OAK TREE missing..... :(:(

All is well.

andy (ajb)

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
A very good day . Keep those podiums coming.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Monica restrained me from commenting earlier... :biggrin

Terry,

The most memorable part of that 200 yard 360 spin was hitting a big puddle of standing water with both windows down and my GT completely sideways on that grass infield. A wall of dirty grassy water came crashing through the open window on my side and smacked both Monica and me in the face. The only thing I was thinking was you were going to kill me when we got back to the pit area. Monica never stopped smiling and you were most gracious. Even more amazing was that other than being dirty and losing that black plastic molding below the right rocker panel my GT didn't have a scratch. It was still perfect! Still amazes me when I think about it. VIR is not a friendly track to go off on and two of our members were not as lucky as me that day.

Chip

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I don't remember the instructor's name that rode with me at the VIR rally. I do remember him telling me that there are areas on this track that "you WILL NOT attempt to go fast through". Great dude.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I remember Monica getting out and laughing and Chip got out saying nothing and was the color of a ghost. I've never seen a GT slide that far before or since! It was obvious he thought he was going to hit something and he didn't. It's always funny afterwards.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I was only going to tease you a bit Chip.:wink It is amazing how far a car can go on wet grass at VIR. :eek Here is a recent video of Monica overshooting a turn at SM, doesn't go as far on dirt as wet grass though. :biggrin
We always go into these things with eyes wide open, try to be safe. To come out safe is what really matters, to come out with no damage is always icing on the cake. Finally we thank the man upstairs for the many blessings we have everyday. :thumbsup
[video=youtube;WGZs9yQAvfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGZs9yQAvfA[/video]

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks Terry and Monica great video.