Trickle charger for a 05 GT

shobhanmittal

May 11, 2023
Hi Guys,

Quick question. I did not receive any charger when I bought my 2005 GT a few months ago. Wanted to ask if an after market trickle charger will work thru the cigarette lighter port? Or will I have to connect the O ring leads to the battery terminals?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Any charger that has the cigarette lighter adapter will work. We sell the Battery Tender kit with the cigarette lighter adapter on our website.

Reactions: KennethClay

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I run a Ceetek through the lighter port, it's more convenient than the pigtail in the nose

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Any charger that has the cigarette lighter adapter will work. We sell the Battery Tender kit with the cigarette lighter adapter on our website.
That's what I've been using for years--works great! And as has been well documented, if you want to avoid gauge trouble, NEVER let the battery go dead. So far, so good!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I wired mine directly to the battery
Does it matter what you do really as long as you keep it on the trickle charger. As soon as I park my car, I put it on the charger.

Reactions: RPM217

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Does it matter what you do really as long as you keep it on the trickle charger. As soon as I park my car, I put it on the charger.
Same. I always plug it back in immediately after each drive. I've always read that batteries do best when you don't let them stay low for very long.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So did I. There is a quick-connect that attaches under the hood opposite from the tow hook that is really convenient. No stringing wires through windows/doors like with the Ford unit.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
One more time...

If you drive it regularly (every two weeks or so), you don't need to put it on a charger. I got 16 years out of my original battery, and I only put it on a trickle charger if I thought it would be sitting for a month or more. YMMV.

If you do use a charger, the cig lighter socket is the easiest way to connect it, as nota4re says.