Transaxle Drain Bolt

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
What is the MM size for the large drain bolt at the bottom of the tranny? I don't have one this large and need to go buy one. I've been told 36mm, but purchased one and it was too big. 34mm?
And confirming that a Ford transaxle cooler requires a 5th quart of fluid?
Thanks much.

Last edited:

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
It takes a 32mm socket.
With the ford cooler you will need an additional quart of which you'll use about 3/4 of that.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you look at the old posts on this, the GT guys recommend filling from the fittling just above the drain. Have to watch out for the O ring when replacing. Makes it much easier.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
From my experience, you'll have to use some kind of trick to get any additional oil in a Ford Transaxle cooler-equipped car. Per the instructions, it is recommended that after install you start and run to check for leaks. Following this step, you are to remove the fill plug and check the level.... and add through this fill plug. The Ford Racing cooler fills from the top of the cooler and the bottom line is the return to the transaxle. As such, the transaxle cooler will promptly drain back - hence the inability to add fluid. My guess is that unless a knowledgeable person like Shadowman or the GTGuys installed your Ford Racing cooler, you may not have all of the fluid you could/should have.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks fellas.
I'll go buy the 32mm and get after it.
So Kendall, what would the harm be to fill that extra 3/4 quart by taking off the cooler return line and carefully pouring the fluid in, then replacing the line to the cooler?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I think the main elements of the "trick" is to avoid making a mess.

Shadowman, can you comment? I think that Rich (and you?) add through the sending unit or something?

I'd help if I could - I just don't have that much experience with this cooler - just the "other" one :wink.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
I think the main elements of the "trick" is to avoid making a mess.

Shadowman, can you comment? I think that Rich (and you?) add through the sending unit or something?

I'd help if I could - I just don't have that much experience with this cooler - just the "other" one :wink.

Kendall, I am overdue for a change with your cooler. Please, a quick refresher for quantity and refill point. Thank you Sir :thumbsup

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Understood Kendall! :biggrin
Sending unit....had not considered that.
Will await further input from the Shadowman or others.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kendall, I am overdue for a change with your cooler. Please, a quick refresher for quantity and refill point. Thank you Sir

With the Cool Tech (Setrab) cooler, the cooler fills from the bottom and return to the transaxle is from the top of the cooler.

On your 3-year change intervals there are two methods.

1. You can drain the transaxle "normally" and fill "normally". You should measure the fluid you get out. In a car that has been started/driven recently, you will drain out 3.9-4.0 quarts, and this it what you will be able to add back through the fill plug. In this scenario, you will still have "old" oil in the cooler and lines.

2. For a complete change, you should also drain the cooler which can be accomplished by removing the bottom line to the cooler. Most likely, you will need to temporarily un-bolt and lift the cooler so that you can access the bottom line.

The cooler will hold about .65 quarts.

OEM: 4.0 quarts capacity (although you always seem to only get out ~3.8 quarts)

OEM + Cool Tech Cooler = 4.8 quarts (20% added fluid capacity)