Transaxle cooler installation question

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I did a search and did not find answers to these questions. I apologize if I missed them. For those that have experience with the FRPP transaxle cooler, what, if anything, is recommended to use as a thread sealant on the aluminum adapter plugs that are installed in the transaxle? Also, am I correct to assume that the REAR adapter hole should feed the cooler (from the top, of course). The longer line connects to the top of the cooler and it seems logical that it should go to the rear hole because, well, it's longer. I wouldn't need to ask these questions if a) I was smarter and b) Ford saw fit to send me a $.01 copy of the instructions with my $1k cooler.

As a side note, although the cooler is grossly overpriced, it sure does look neat.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
If you haven't bought the cooler yet, you may want to consider nota4re's cooler kit. About half the price, and a better cooling unit. I have one and it is great. :thumbsup

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sinovac said:
I did a search and did not find answers to these questions. I apologize if I missed them. For those that have experience with the FRPP transaxle cooler, what, if anything, is recommended to use as a thread sealant on the aluminum adapter plugs that are installed in the transaxle? Also, am I correct to assume that the REAR adapter hole should feed the cooler (from the top, of course). The longer line connects to the top of the cooler and it seems logical that it should go to the rear hole because, well, it's longer. I wouldn't need to ask these questions if a) I was smarter and b) Ford saw fit to send me a $.01 copy of the instructions with my $1k cooler.

As a side note, although the cooler is grossly overpriced, it sure does look neat.

No sealer is called out with the Ford unit instructions. I installed mine dry and have no problems. You are correct, the longer line (top cooler connection) goes to the rear hole.

Aug 25, 2006
Sinovac said:

The AN fittings that go into the transaxle (IMO) should have a little Teflon paste on them not so much for sealing but rather to keep the pieces from galling during the installation process. Aluminum to aluminium does not like friction and without a Teflon paste or ??? the possibilty of galling is VERY high. If it galls it will either not seat completely or when a day comes that it needs to be removed you will not be able to without drilling it out. FYI; in the case of the OEM fitting it was steel as such the concern is not there..... as for the ends that the hoses/lines connect to a moderate amount of motor oil is recomended during an AN fitting clamping process. Again for the reason I shared above.

Lastly; the instructions that were furnished with the cooler..... were a joke.

All the best

Shadowman

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for the information.

Teflon paste certainly can't hurt.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
AN fittings seal on the tapers no thread sealant is needed. The tapers should be clean. You can lube the threads with oil if you wish to.

BlackICE

hey....

Sinovac - Check out the link below:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-7095-GT.pdf

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.
jack@musclemotors.com
http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

Last edited: