Trans breather w/ Cooler ???

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I see there is a member here that makes a nice Trans. breather kit to replace the cheap factory one. If you are going to install a trans. cooler is the breather still an issue or would it be wise to do both ? I'm doing the cooler for sure I didn't want to waste the money on the breather it it would not be an issue.
I want to say thanks to the guys that have put together some nice kits that are alternitive to the OEM stuff !!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have both fitted - however the breather is not really required as the cooler should take the expansion of hot gasses. The reason I went for both? It was simply a case of 'why not?' It's not going to do any harm.

My breather has a breathing tank at the top, I've checked this after thousands of miles of hot driving - there's not even a hint of oil in it, proving that it's probably not really needed in my case and that the cooler rad is doing its job.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
same here :wink

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
That's what i figured just want to check with some guys that have done both. Thx for the response this site is great!!

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Breather ?

If the breather tank is mounted in the proper spot.
It will not hold or catch oil. It will drain any oil back to the trans.
Would it not be empty all the time?

Also :
how would a cooler retain or collect hot gas?
How would this work?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I haven't installed either yet, but plan to install a breather when I get time to make a mounting bracket. It is much like M2race's product, which seem like a good one and will save a lot of work making a custom bracket. I think the cooler won't solve the oil leak/vapor problem alone, because I have some small oil leakage and I never got the transaxle case warmer than 140F. The cooler isn't needed unless you get the oil over 180 or at least 160F.

BlackICE

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
MR2Race said:

Also :
How would this work?

I have not seen the one currently being installed on the GT's however we often install a similar sounding device but call it an oil separator. A device that allows oil vapor to be released and then the soilds aka oil collect on the baffles or ?? within and drip back into the sump and only the air leaves.

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
MR2Race said:

Also :
How would this work?

color me 110% satisfied with my breather and cooler kit.... nah, 150% satisfied. Oh by the way this guy was the suspension development guru on the workhorse and development team... introduce yourself for gawd's sake :cheers :banana :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I wasn't expecting the breather to keep oil in it (of course) however one might expect a clean finger to be slightly discoloured (from oil) when wiped inside the baffle. From close inspection my breather doesn't seem to have seen any activity at all.... it's still shiney and clean after a couple of thousand miles.

I didn't expect the radiator to 'collect' gas - however there is obviously some expansion within the transaxle and the new radiator appears to take that expansion somehow.

Aug 25, 2006
Neilda said:
I wasn't expecting the breather to keep oil in it (of course) however one might expect a clean finger to be slightly discoloured (from oil) when wiped inside the baffle. From close inspection my breather doesn't seem to have seen any activity at all.... it's still shiney and clean after a couple of thousand miles.

I didn't expect the radiator to 'collect' gas - however there is obviously some expansion within the transaxle and the new radiator appears to take that expansion somehow.

Your comments are good

I was told that once a cooler was installed the expansion within it and the extra lines seem to solve the problem which appears to be what you have found too.

Considering that I am about to install a cooler this information was welcome news.

All the best

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Shadowman, my transaxle casing is now bone dry since fitting the cooler having been always wet with oil beforehand. So it works perfectly to solve the weeping problem.

However, I don't regret fitting the breather extension - whilst it's redundant it looks kind of neat!

Aug 25, 2006
Neilda said:
Shadowman, my transaxle casing is now bone dry since fitting the cooler having been always wet with oil beforehand. So it works perfectly to solve the weeping problem.

However, I don't regret fitting the breather extension - whilst it's redundant it looks kind of neat!

Thank you

Shadowman