Track Day Liability Case

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Interesting article in the June 2006 edition of Sports Car Market discussing
the crash of the Carrera GT at California Speedway. The following information is from this publication. Not from me.....

The crash occured last summer when a Carrera GT swerved to miss a Ferrari
that was entering the track. The Carrera GT's rear end came around and it crashed into a wall at 145mph. Sadly, both driver and passenger were killed in the crash.

Additional information the magazine provided:
The car had been having problems referred to as being "tail happy" and the owner was at the track to try to sort out the problem.

The wall they hit had been moved from it's original location to the new location to make room for a playground for a Nascar event. The wall was not returned to it's original location before the track day event.

The Ferrari club rules prohibited passengers at the event.

The Ferrari entering the track did not accelerate onto the track, but maintained a straight line approach at a slower speed.

As you would expect the lawsuit names everyone:
The Carrera drivers estate.
The Racetrack
The Ferrari Owners Club
The flagman that waved the Ferrari onto the track.
The Ferrari driver.
And lastly Porsche for providing a car with the power of a Carrera to a driver
that did not have the appropriate experience to safely drive the car. They also contend that there was a mechanical flaw in this car and maybe all of the Carrera GT's.

It should be noted that the Attorney representing the passenger in the wreck is the same one that sued Porsche in the 80's because the Turbo Porsche was to powerful and unpredictable with an inexperienced driver. You will remember that Porsche stopped bringing the Turbo to the US for several years after that.

I share this with you because I had never heard of this magazine before and I have not seen any reference to the lawsuit anyplace else.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Driving at high speed is always a risk. Track days make it much safer, but it remains a risk nonetheless. Sneeze at that speed and you can get yourself killed.

If it was in fact that fault of a track flagman that caused a high speed evasive maneuver, fine. Otherwise, it's just another chapter to an already sad story.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This is such a sad case. The lawyer representing the wife of the passenger is the one who sued Porsche of the Turbo Carrera 930 and suceeded in Porsche pulling the car from the marketplace until 1986.

No doubt the flag man was not up to snuff, the Carrerra GT driver took a passenger out on the track without a helmet. Gee whiz, the impact of the car
hitting the wall was measured at 200g's.

Personally, I am worried that the insurance companies will be the death of super cars.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
A very sad story - I read through the pages of tributes to the driver and passenger.

Their families must be absolutely devastated.