Top Gear

GGIII

Feb 13, 2006
Savannah, GA
This is the second Ford GT review Top Gear did. The first one was a review of the Test Mule.

http://www.bar-club.com/movies/TopGearFordGT.wmv

Why do I care, you may ask? I'm the luckiest 17 year old. Ever. (I think.) As of high school graduation I will either be the proud owner of a 2006 Corvette Z06 or a 2006 GT. :cheers Right now I drive an 05 Mustang GT. :thumbsup

Everyone locally hates me. Honestly, I'm a nice guy! :frown

Anyways, backstory aside, that video is great. I'll be lurking around here.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Throw on the flamesuit bud. I personally don't have any problem with it (what people buy with their money is their decision!), but be ready for some "advice" based on your age and the step up from the Stang. Definitely, and I mean definitely, don't post this on the Corvetteforum or Z06vette, because there are about 674,085 49-year-olds just dying to give a lecture to you on how you're an idiot/you don't deserve it/your parents should die in a fire :lol

p.s, I guess if you have the choice, get the GT strictly based on it's more forgiving nature(besides the 8 million other reasons to get it). No traction control, but a high-revving 7.0L n/a motor is inherently more twitchy than the smooth 5.4 of the GT. Either one can easily leave you humble/killed in an instant, but I think the GT is a smoother driving experience.

Let us know which way you end up going. :cheers

GGIII

Feb 13, 2006
Savannah, GA
Actually, my choice is the GT. I feel that it is a better car all around (sure, it's not -quite- as fast as the Z06 on the 1/4 but how much more can I possibly need?!) It's rarer (so it will hold value better), faster (top end), and it's dead sexy.

So, as long as my grandad (purchasing the car) agrees to the GT it's the one I'm in. If he doesn't agree, though, the Z06 is already agreed to.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
How do you know it's not as fast as the z-06? I know a fellow with a gt that has had a few encounters with some z-06s. Both times the gt did a number on them. Now mind you, i'm sure they were a good challenge.
Driver may have had something to do with it. But the gt pulled on the z-06, once even. I'm not biased either--I love the vette. May even get one.

By the way the gt driver is an unbelievably nice guy!

Get the gt if you can- its unique.

Manny #1418

GGIII

Feb 13, 2006
Savannah, GA
Well, what I mean is that the Z06 pumps out 505 N/Ahp. Supercharged the Z06 will be ridiculous.

Should be more specific, shouldn't I? =)

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
GGIII said:
Well, what I mean is that the Z06 pumps out 505 N/Ahp. Supercharged the Z06 will be ridiculous.

actually the ford mod motor takes to supercharging MUCH better that the LS series engine. congrats if you get either.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Having been 17 myself, long ago :biggrin , I would have to advise on the corvette, but only for your safety. (Actually, I don't think I'd buy my child a sports car at all.) The Raging hormones and invincibility complex of a teenager is just too much for such a powerful car without traction control. I find myself doing stupid stuff all the time, I don't think I'd have lived past 20 if I had any sort of powerful car as a teenager

I actually felt let down that the GT did not come with traction control. It's easy to turn off on the Vette, but the GT does not have it at all. Would be nice to turn it on when the wife drives, or in the event I ever let someone else drive it. It's simply too easy to break the tires loose and spin out of control.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
That video was great, we don't get topgear in my neck of the woods so it was nice to finally see it.

Wish I could find a track to run on that put me at 4 MPG, that's some heavy driving.

GGIII

Feb 13, 2006
Savannah, GA
SuperB said:
Having been 17 myself, long ago :biggrin , I would have to advise on the corvette, but only for your safety. (Actually, I don't think I'd buy my child a sports car at all.) The Raging hormones and invincibility complex of a teenager is just too much for such a powerful car without traction control. I find myself doing stupid stuff all the time, I don't think I'd have lived past 20 if I had any sort of powerful car as a teenager

I learned my lesson. Totalled out an 03 Mustang GT. Invincibility complex = Gone. Don't know why I'm alive. After that wreck (dropped 30+ feet off an onramp on a rainy day and rolled) I should be dead. (Thanks, Big Man!) Needless to say, I'm careful now. So far no issues with the 05 Mustang GT.

Though trac-control is nice I think that the 7.0 is gonna be quite a bit less tame than the 5.4 simply due to its nature. Just my .02

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The GT is surprisingly agile and even tempered, so much so that I fear getting myself into trouble.

GGIII

Feb 13, 2006
Savannah, GA
Just what I would expect from a Ford mod-v8 :thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
GGIII said:

My last car was a 02 z06 with a procharger. It dynoed 529hp and 507tq at the wheels. With the T controll on it was always way to envolved with the launch and with it off the car was uncontrollable and dangerous.
The GT has almost the same numbers and it is a cream puff compared to the z06.
By the way some people have posted their bad luck with the z06, mine was great.... it's just no GT.

GGIII

Feb 13, 2006
Savannah, GA
I know all about how evil a Z can be. My father owned a 2003 Z06 up untill recently. That car lost many a stoplight battle simply because it wouldn't stick... 50/50 weight + ultra-stiff suspension = Bad XD

Got to drive it a bit. Fun car.

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
GGIII-no lectures as I am sure you have already heard it all.Just a suggestion.If possible,go to a professional driving school before you get behind the wheel of the 'Vette or GT.I suggest looking at a 5 day Bertil Roos School.They will have them at VIR in Virginia and at Pocono in Pa.VIR is a much better track and location than Pocono.The instruction is superb,the cars are Scandia 2000's[open wheels,open cockpit,spoilers,4 cyl engines,~120 hp,weigh nothing,4 spd gear box etc],and you will learn more about driving fast,well,and safely than you would have thought possible.If,after doing something like this,you feel the need to race,come join us in the Roos Race Series-you will get all the competition you want and then some.Keep it safe on the street and at the limits on the track in a race prepped car!
Good luck.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Ggiii

To me, our young friend sounds really surprisingly mature for a 17 year old. Might also be a good driver by now. F1 boys start early, my now three year old daughter already wants to helm cars and boats and never sits in the back (mama needs to), and next year will get her first Kart. If you see some of the kart kids, amazing, even when they are only 9ish.
However, I agree totally. If I would be your dad, I'd have you make a FIA race driver license first, and demonstrate on the edge handling on track to me first. Otherwise, he should get a SCT2 programmer, I'd put on the valet setting allowing maxx 70mph (in my programmer's case), so the legs of the highschool sweetheart don't get you spinning on four wheels out of control, coming back from the cinema..
I also somehow assume you must be a straight A student, with at least three honors or otherwise dramatically accomplished. Otherwise, you are just getting spoiled by your parents, and will have a hard time making a career later on your own, like most of us here have done by now. We basically all here cruise in 'Reward' mode, I got the feeling. Less in reverse mode, welcome GGIII ! :wink
Sometime I might come up and check out your driving ability. Just for my perspective....

Enjoy responsibly, young man !

slf360

Last edited: