Those little black dots on your wheels ?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Does anyone know where to get replacement black dots for the wheels on the GT. Mine are slowly wearing out. The black dots represent the lowest point on the wheel and the opposing red spot onthe tire corresponds to the highest point on the tire. This mounting reduces harmonic vibration at high speeds. I would like to replace the dots. Don't know if Ford GT Customer Service can provide some or best look at the "Local Art Store". Anyone know how to find this replacements?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
black dots

I took a very fine tipped small punch and marked the center of the dot. Until now it's been my secret. The dimpled spot will never fade or wash off. I have noticed that the tire installers have been way off on the red dot alignment to the black dot. I guess it mustn't be that critical, otherwise q.a. would have had them re-done. :confused

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The heavy spot on your wheel will likely never change over the life of the wheel as long as you do not damage them. Therefore, there are multiple ways to keep track of this without the fugly black dots on your wheels. One way is to make a notation on a piece of paper or capture a digital picture of each wheel. Alternatively, you can place a small mark on the wheel, potentially on the back, unseen, side.

On my car, each black dot was very close to if not right at the valve stem. This is what you would typically expect. Therefore, I just removed the black dots with a mental notation (NOT the most reliable in my case!) that the heavy spot is at the valve stem.

I should note that I am "over the top" when it comes to vibrations or wheel shimmies. So much so that I bought my own balancer and tire machine so that I can do each car perfectly - and as frequently as may be needed.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm gonna call GT Customer Service on Monday and find out how to get some. Not a big deal but like to point them out to everyone and ask them if they know why they are there?

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
My red dots are gone

When I picked up my car, the dealer "cleaned" the red dots off my tires (they said they weren't needed & I didn't know what they were for). Is this an issue?? I still have the black dots, which I'm assuming (now that I've read this thread) would be needed or helpful to the next guy that mounts new tires for me (?) Is this understanding correct? Will I ever need to know where the red dots were? Can a tire guy determine where the tire "high point" is, or is this something that only the tire manufacturer knows and marks? And the red should line up with the black? Further info & explaination on these red & black dots would be very helpful. Someone "tutor" me please! :eek ----Rick

Hunter Engineering makes a "Road Force Balancer" model GSP9700 that has the ability to provide the information to "Match Mount" just about any tire and wheel assembly including our GT's. This is the only way to truely balance any tire and wheel assembly with the minimum amount of wheel weights and optimum assembly balance. If you visit their web site it will explain procedure in detail. With this equipment and properly trained personnel you need not worry about wheel / tire markings, the GSP9700's computer automaticly takes this info in consideration and allows the tech to mark the tire and the wheel to "match Mount" those positions (high spot/low spot). Of course the tire and wheel assembly has to be removed from tha balancer, deflated and the tires beads need to be broken down, then the tire needs to be turned on the wheel until the two locations meet. Then reinflate the tire and place it back on the GSP9700 to finish the normal balancing procedure. There is a lot more this equipment can do so I suggest you visit their web site. It also tells you the tire dealer / service center near you who has one. Good luck. JT (35 years in the Tire Business).

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Joseph Tomarchio said:
Hunter Engineering makes a "Road Force Balancer" model GSP9700 that has the ability to provide the information to "Match Mount" just about any tire and wheel assembly including our GT's. This is the only way to truely balance any tire and wheel assembly with the minimum amount of wheel weights and optimum assembly balance. If you visit their web site it will explain procedure in detail. With this equipment and properly trained personnel you need not worry about wheel / tire markings, the GSP9700's computer automaticly takes this info in consideration and allows the tech to mark the tire and the wheel to "match Mount" those positions (high spot/low spot). Of course the tire and wheel assembly has to be removed from tha balancer, deflated and the tires beads need to be broken down, then the tire needs to be turned on the wheel until the two locations meet. Then reinflate the tire and place it back on the GSP9700 to finish the normal balancing procedure. There is a lot more this equipment can do so I suggest you visit their web site. It also tells you the tire dealer / service center near you who has one. Good luck. JT (35 years in the Tire Business).
Thanks Joseph. Porsche dealers are required to Road Force Balance the wheels and tires on their cars. I thought this was unnecessary German overkill until I replaced the tires on my Cayenne turbo. I ordered new 20" treads from the Tire Rack and had my race shop do the mount and balance. Big mistake. The Car was horrible until Porsche Road force Balanced the tires & wheels. I suspect other manufacturers are finding the same problems with low profile tires on 18-20" wheels and some cars are more sensitive than others. So the red and black dots do not heed to be preserved but we need to find a quality tire shop or Porsche dealer when it's time for new rubber.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great thread, I learn something new on this site every day. thank you :wink

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
sharp33 said:
Thanks Joseph. Porsche dealers are required to Road Force Balance the wheels and tires on their cars. I thought this was unnecessary German overkill until I replaced the tires on my Cayenne turbo. I ordered new 20" treads from the Tire Rack and had my race shop do the mount and balance. Big mistake. The Car was horrible until Porsche Road force Balanced the tires & wheels. I suspect other manufacturers are finding the same problems with low profile tires on 18-20" wheels and some cars are more sensitive than others. So the red and black dots do not heed to be preserved but we need to find a quality tire shop or Porsche dealer when it's time for new rubber.

I was going to post the same thing! I had 19" HRE's installed on my 996 turbo at a tire store, and it vibrated like crazy! Took it to the dealership and had the road force balancing done, and all was well. I too thought it was BS, but it makes a big difference!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Looking forward to hearing if there are "official" replacements. I'm using my Black Sharpie pen to keep them going, but they are wearing thin. Guess we could always find some small black stickers and use them when needed? :thumbsup

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
New Tires Have a RED DOT?

I've documented the locations of the black dots (heavy side?) on my wheels. When I eventually buy new "supercar" tires, do they come with the RED DOTS on the sidewall? And the red dots mark the *light side* of the tire?

I know that posts have indicated that certain balancing machines make all this unnecessary, but if I find a Ford dealer I like, who knows how to lift the car properly, etc., but doesn't have said machine . . . then the simple black-to-red alignment seems fool proof.

Will newly purchased tires have the red dot?

----Rick

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Most Ford dealerships can't handle 18 & 19" wheels and send them out anyway. Ask any F150 owner. Analogdesigner had his wheel guy special order the plastic (Teflon?) tips that go on the bead breaker/setter. Probably a good idea so your expensive wheels don't scratched by the uninformed tech putting them on. Me, I'm easy on tires generally. Got 30K out of my Pirelli PZero's on the Jag. I think, since the tread on these supercar tires is less than normal thickness, we'll be lucky to get 15K. Did you read your manual about the tires?