Spider Scratches!!!!!!

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Since I have to keep my 08 GT500 (soon to be a Super Snake) outside, I purchased a car cover. I got the top of the line California Car Cover for outdoor use. I did a lot of research to make sure this was the best cover for the use. The cover fit well and was tight on the car. I do live in Southern California, so the weather is not too bad. I also make sure my cars have a thick coat of wax applied every week.

We recently had a small rain storm and it was windy. The GT500 is black and upon taking the cover off I discovered the car was covered in spider scratches!!!!! The wind had caused the cover to whip around and created the scratches. Now what!!!!:ack

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Since I have to keep my 08 GT500 (soon to be a Super Snake) outside, I purchased a car cover. I got the top of the line California Car Cover for outdoor use. I did a lot of research to make sure this was the best cover for the use. The cover fit well and was tight on the car. I do live in Southern California, so the weather is not too bad. I also make sure my cars have a thick coat of wax applied every week.

We recently had a small rain storm and it was windy. The GT500 is black and upon taking the cover off I discovered the car was covered in spider scratches!!!!! The wind had caused the cover to whip around and created the scratches. Now what!!!!:ack

Jason is the man to ask here ...but, my knee jerk solution here is: CLAY BAR treatment & rewax.

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Jason is the man to ask here ...but, my knee jerk solution here is: CLAY BAR treatment & rewax.

My detailer used clay on the big problem areas and it looked better. He is saying that he will need to use a high speed buffer to get the clear coat to a high temp. and that will help. At this point I guess it's worth a try?

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
It's an easy fix if you have the know-how. It is something I would not do by hand since the pressure of polishing by hand is often times not distributed evenly across the clear coat. You're likely to cause more damage with a 3" hand foam pad, than with a 6.5" foam buffing pad with the pressure evenly distributed across the surface. Since the spider scratches are all over the vehicle, an even amount of weight/pressure distribution plays a large factor.

Spider scratches are usually a light clear coat scratch that can be repaired easily without having to use tools that can generate too much heat and compromise the integrity of your clear coat. If you have many light scratches that you cannot feel with your finger nail, I would lean towards the Porter Cable 7424 R/O Buffer and a series of foam pads. If you're looking to spend money and do this yourself, I can tell you everything you'll need. You will spend around $200-$250 in tools, pads, ands polishes and the results should be nothing short of spectacular if you're planning to spend a day doing so.

Otherwise, I'll be in Scottsdale in January and that's a little bit closer to California than Chicago is :wink Come join us for the dinner after Barrett-Jackson. Bring it over to my place before-hand and I'll pick you up and drop you off from your hotel while I am doing the work. :thumbsup

Last edited:

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Otherwise, I'll be in Scottsdale in January and that's a little bit closer to California than Chicago is :wink Come join us for the dinner after Barrett-Jackson. Bring it over to my place before-hand and I'll pick you up and drop you off from your hotel while I am doing the work. :thumbsup[/QUOTE]

Jason,

I won't be at BJ:frown So, I'll take you up on telling me how to do it. Thanks for the info:thumbsup

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I'll gladly PM you everything when I get back in town tomorrow evening. :thumbsup

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I'll gladly PM you everything when I get back in town tomorrow evening. :thumbsup

Thanks Buddy:cheers

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I just got that Porter Cable buffer that Jason is talking about. It's a really nice buffer and for someone that is not a pro detailer and is alittle scared of a high speed buffer this is perfect. It is doesn't spin it just ocilates so there is no way you can damage the paint by burning it.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
A word of caution!

I just got that Porter Cable buffer that Jason is talking about. It's a really nice buffer and for someone that is not a pro detailer and is alittle scared of a high speed buffer this is perfect. It is doesn't spin it just ocilates so there is no way you can damage the paint by burning it.

With this and any other power buffer be extremely careful not to pick up off the paint surface or otherwise any contamination that can harm the paint. Once embedded in the pad it doesn't take long to do some real damage with a machine before you realize it.

AJK

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I haven't tried it on scratches, but I found some bird droppings on my hood. I washed it off and it left a dull mark where the stuff was. I had a bottle of this stuff. I put some on a rag and wiped it on the hood. Presto dull spot gone. I'm sure Jason could do a much better job, but for an amatuer it works.

http://www.aceitpolish.com/

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Put some Arm&Hammer on it in a paste. Let it sit for a while then hit it with some Maguires scratch remover. Re-wax.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Thats true AJK. I always clay bar before i polish and wax my car or truck to make sure there is no dirt or fallout on the paint.

Jan A. Byrd

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
Percy IL
I own a 06 GT, a 08 GT500 and an autobody shop. What you guys are saying about buffing sounds good but you really have to be careful when buffing out your finish. For the cost of farming it out it may be a wise to have someone who buffs all the time do it for you. If you do decide to do it yourself always keep in mind that always position the buffing pad to rotate off the panels edges as the hood. Many people eat the paint off the edges from running the pad into the edge and not away from it. If you were located in southern IL I would do it for you free of charge. Just my two cents worth from many years of experience. J Byrd.
BOSS429316-1.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
J Byrd, I'm in Belleville. Where are you at?