Speedometer Malfunction

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Within the last 500 miles the speedometer on my '06 GT has taken on a mind of its own. Occasionally the needle will jump all over the dial for a while, then return to indicate the normal speed I'm driving. What's going on and what is the fix?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Any other gauges misbehaving? It can be battery. How old is it?

You do know about the gauge issue. The original Ford factory gauges are prone to failure (actually, almost guaranteed that you'll in the live of your car have at least one gauge fail).

The small gauges are available as a factory look and feel drop in from Autometer. If you replace a small gauge with the Autometer equivalent it is highly recommended you replace all of them at the same time since with some high level of certainty you'll be back again. The labor to replace a single gauge (unless you do it yourself) is about the same as replacing all of them at once.

Speedo and tach are only available from Ford.

Several have claimed to be able to rebuild the large gauges with other innards but I've not seen feedback on the results.

An entire gauge and bezel replacement is available from Speed Hut.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
An entire replacement panel with all gauges is available from Speedhut for about $1200 (the last time I looked). I took out my old gauges, even though they weren't misbehaving (yet), put them in a sealed plastic bag, and installed the Speedhut panel. It is better than the OE gauges.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
First thing to check would be the speed sensor mounted in the transmission casing - these do occasionally fail - it lives in a fairly hot area - good thing is that it's not expensive or difficult to replace. Part No is XR3Z-7H103-AB and it's about $50.

Second thing (and realistically more likely) would be the gauge itself failing - Rich Brooks (The GT Garage LLC) can rebuild the speedo or tacho with revised internals, we've had a couple of tachos from him with perfect results.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
First thing to check would be the speed sensor mounted in the transmission casing - these do occasionally fail - it lives in a fairly hot area - good thing is that it's not expensive or difficult to replace. Part No is XR3Z-7H103-AB and it's about $50.

Second thing (and realistically more likely) would be the gauge itself failing - Rich Brooks (The GT Garage LLC) can rebuild the speedo or tacho with revised internals, we've had a couple of tachos from him with perfect results.
You can buy the speed sensor made by Delphi thru eBay for 24$.

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 11

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You can buy the speed sensor made by Delphi thru eBay for 24$.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I ordered a VSS for a 1994 F150 today. Delphi($18) said made in China, Dorman($26) said American product. I ordered the Dorman. There were also VSS's for $8 but unknown brand. They're probably all made at the same $8 place.

Reactions: 2112

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I ordered a VSS for a 1994 F150 today. Delphi($18) said made in China, Dorman($26) said American product. I ordered the Dorman. There were also VSS's for $8 but unknown brand. They're probably all made at the same $8 place.
Thanks for making that choice. It matters.

Reactions: 2112