Spark plugs for higher boost application

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
My GT has a Kenne Bell "HCD" Snout w/ 2.75 pully. Makes 15" boost now vs 12.5" stock. Also has the Kenne Bell "Flash tuner", Kenne Bell Spark intensifier run at 110%, Kenne Bell recomended NGK TR6 plugs, Accufab air inlet support, Ford Motorsport (Borla) exhaust, & Ford motorsport transaxle cooler. I run on 93 octane pump gas.

Although I was not able to do a dyno run as the shop that did the work has a brake dyno that only goes up to 400 rwhp, The car absolutely had a very noticeable increase in power. It became downright violent (in a good way).

Recently I felt it may be down just a little on power and I thought I may have heard some detonation under full throttle. Most likely I was just getting used to the power and was being paranoid. Just to be sure, I did a leakdown test on my own and the results were very good (0% leakdown in the front six cylinders and 2% leakdown in the rear two). While doing the leakdown I was shocked to see that the ceramic insulators of the NGK TR6 plugs were as white as a sheet of paper. They definately looked lean / hot. I further noticed that the threads of the plugs went past the head. the last 2-3 threads on the end of the plugs had been exposed in the combustion chamber and were covered with carbon. The plugs were actually hard to remove. It seems to me that these plugs, although recomended by Kenne Bell, are not appropriate for this application. They are obviously too far into the combustion chamber and that could be responsible for the hot / lean appearance of the ceramic insulators. Further, having plug threads extend past the end of the head can damage the aluminum heads if too much carbon / crud builds up on them prior to removal.

Ideally I would like to install a couple heat range cooler version of the stock Ford plug. Does anyone know what that would be? Also what exactly is the stock plug? I no longer have them. Worst case, I will install a set of stock plugs and see what they look like after a while.

Last edited:

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
sounds like you need to get your car tuned on a dyno.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Agree, just made an appointment w/ Bob IDA of IDA Automotive for next week.

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2006
Spark Plug Heat Range and Reach

The GT uses a Motorcraft AGSF12FM1, and here's what that means:

A=14mm
G=.708 conical seat [3/4" reach]. More on this later
S=radio Suppression
F=conical seat
1=heat range [1 through 3 are "cold"]. More on this later
2=extended tip
F=fine wire platinum electrode
M=nickel plated
1=special ground

It is the same plug that has been used in the F150 Lightning Supercharged truck for years.

If the threads go past the head (inside) then either someone sold you plugs with more than 3/4" reach, or Ford is wrong. Just measure the distance between the "dirty" threads and the seat. It should be 3/4". Note that a properly "heated" plug will show heat discoloration about halfway up the "clean" threads.

For a Motorcraft plug to be colder, the heat range number would have to change from a "1" to "02" through "09". Be careful here; I've never seen a plug colder than a "1". But the number would change to something like AGSF092FM1, and I don't even know if there's any such thing.

If you like NGKs (that's what I used in a twin 500CID, 1350HP, Whipple Quad-Rotor race boat, just make sure that you have a 14mm, 3/4" reach, conical (taper) seat, extended tip plug - then start reading the heat on the THREADS as well as the insulator.

By the way, indexing the plugs to have the electrode pointed into the cylinder makes a BIG difference....

BUT THE PLOT THICKENS.... Maybe Ford IS wrong. The NGK TR6 has a .708 thread reach. If the threads on the plug go past the threads in the head, you can possibly back up to a UR6 that has a .460 reach.

Are you sure it's carbon on the threads (a bad thing), and not heat discoloration (a good thing)?

Last edited:

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
1827 - Excellent info!! thanks. I do believe it is carbon, not just heat discoloration on the plugs.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
John B

At 15# boost, use the STOCK GT plugs and, just gap them at about .035" !!

AMB

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
iuse 7's ngk for my turbo application and yes i also have some carbon coloration... definately you have to tune the car but on on just any dyno rather ona dyno that you can apply load to simulate the road...

eddy current dynos do that key here being eddy curent....

piko6

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Bob Ida did a great job on my car, I highly recomend him.
He's very knowledgeable and has been working with supercharged engines for over 20 years. He's also top notch fabricator with his own CNC machine, and a super nice guy. They had some very cool projects going on in their shop. www.idaautomotive.com

It turns out my car had too much advance & was detonating. Also the NGK TR6 plugs although theoretically of equal heat range to stock actually turned out to be hotter as measured by Bobs gauge. Also they were not extended past the head, just discolored at the top of the threads due to heat. We put in different plugs that are two ranges cooler than stock. I also put on the Ida exhaust & intake support. My car went from 598 hp & detonating to 629 rwhp with no detonation. In both cases with the Kenne Bell 2.75" pulley. It's actually making 17 lbs boost, a little more than expected. The Ida exhaust is a real piece of work and sounds great, Mean but not crazy loud. The Ida intake support actually picked up about 10hp over the plastic accufab version. I found this suprising but it seems the Accufab version still allowed some compression in the rubber intake.

Last edited:

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
i am guessing you are using now 8's TR8IX?? NGK IRIDIUM??

i tried those but my driveability was then rough..

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
piko6 said:
i am guessing you are using now 8's TR8IX?? NGK IRIDIUM??

i tried those but my driveability was then rough..

As a current '03 Cobra,'99 Lightning owner and soon to be GT owner, I can tell you TR8IXs are most likely way too cold for that app. I just took a set out of my Cobra which runs 21# boost because they are too cold and where really causing issues during dyno tuning. My Lightning runs Denso Iridium IT22s for around 15# and that's ideal. I would say go to a TR7IX or IT22(probably better).

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
I'm not sure exactly what plugs were put in. I will check them and let you know

QKSTNG514

Mar 8, 2006
Orange Park FL
Plugs

There are TR7IX's in Joe's (Piko). The 8's were too cold which we knew but needed to test.. They take hell at 22psi and 1000HP on a daily basis..

We have seen misfires occur after many back to back passes which may be related to the coil pac's according to one of the Mod Motor builders..

We are still trying to determine what will last behind Joe's right foot!!

TonY G