Shadowman and Some Visual Assistance

Aug 25, 2006
Approximately two years ago I created a thread in which I shared the step by step process of removing the OEM muffler without removing the clamshell. Well with the new driving season unfolding I suspect that many will be considering such a personal tweak as such I wanted to share some information hoping that it will assist at least one.

Here are a few pictures of what it looks like as I remove the OEM muffler by myself along with a brief recap of the process.

Now keep in mind that I remove the rear OEM bumper, the two piece screen, the complete OEM muffler mounting bracket; meaning both the black tail section piece and the stainless steel strap. Then I mask all of the exposed surfaces after which I place a couple layers of blankets over the entire back section of the gal. I also place a towel over the OEM muffler and let it drape down the backside because there is a horizontal pinch weld seam that is sharp and if it were to come into contact with any exposed surfaces cosmetic damage is eminent.

Once this has been completed I simply push the muffler up from the underside of it (a bit more pressure on the passenger side first) and it will rest on the tongue of the transaxle cross member which as you will see is completely protected. Then I crawl in the engine bay and sit on the supercharger; yes I sit on the supercharger with no issues and then pull the muffler towards me. Once the muffler is on the transaxle cross member I then stand alongside of the gal and become D/A Hulk for a moment in time and lift it out; NBD and never has there been any associated damage during the process.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC04823.JPG
    DSC04823.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC04829.JPG
    DSC04829.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC04831.JPG
    DSC04831.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 388

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Bill, Thank you. Greta help for us do it yourselfers.:thumbsup
David

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
If you pull the transaxle hanger bolt it is even easier. The trans axle drops about an inch. It is easy to put the bolt back.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So are we changing your name to "StudMan?" Maybe "MuscleMan?" Drop that baby on your foot or leg and we'll call you "CrippleMan."

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
Thanks for posting Bill. This proceedure is definitely in my future after I clear a few other $$ hurdles on the radar.

P.S. Any shots of Wild Bill riding the superchager?

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
So are we changing your name to "StudMan?" Maybe "MuscleMan?"...

No brawny name changes until I can get him to help lift a transaxile:wink

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
The earlier thread was great help when I changed mine out... thanks for taking the time to post up.

GTexhaust3-31-08002.jpg

mardyn

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Shadow,

those instructions were great when I changed over to my Heffner pipes but I have a question...

Say the car is lowered ~ 3/4" by T&A shocks in the rear... even with the dropping of the transaxle bolt I found the removal of the pipes are a real PITA.... actually had to jack the car frame up and extend the shocks the 1" or so before the pipes could clear... Did you find yourself in this predicament yet?

Aug 25, 2006
Shadow,

those instructions were great when I changed over to my Heffner pipes but I have a question...

Say the car is lowered ~ 3/4" by T&A shocks in the rear... even with the dropping of the transaxle bolt I found the removal of the pipes are a real PITA.... actually had to jack the car frame up and extend the shocks the 1" or so before the pipes could clear... Did you find yourself in this predicament yet?

Huuum; no

And so I am clear explain a bit more because I am not sure how raising the gal would have made the process easier because the chassis, the engine, and the exhaust all move as a solo unit.

Takes care

Shadowman

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
What I saw when I changed a friends pipes were that when she was lowered the clearance from stock ride height impacted the ability to "turn out" the pipes for removal... to where they were hanging up on the rear clip when the gal was lowered the 3/4".... Just curious if you ran across this yet....

Aug 25, 2006
What I saw when I changed a friends pipes were that when she was lowered the clearance from stock ride height impacted the ability to "turn out" the pipes for removal... to where they were hanging up on the rear clip when the gal was lowered the 3/4".... Just curious if you ran across this yet....

No; lowering the suspension would have no cause and affect on this because as shared; when you lower the suspension only the control arms are affected, the chassis aka the saddle of sorts in which is the engine and the exhaust reside all move as a solo unit.

As long as both pieces of the OEM screen were removed then removing the OEM muffler never presents an issue however if the cats are to which you speak then removing them without removing the clamshell can be challenging however I always remove the half shaft bolts and then slide them straight out.

Takes care

Shadowman

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Bill, Thank you. Greta help for us do it yourselfers.:thumbsup
David

Well, if you have Greta helping you, you're not really doing it by yourself. Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
These type of things are awesome and really motivate me to get out of this business slump and make some geen and have some fumn again with my toys.

A good set of pipes to reduce the weight, improve the looks and up the throaty sound is just what the doctor ordered.

Shadowman these are very helpful :bow

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks Shadowman

Shadowman - thanks for taking the time to photo document this & helping all of us. You are a gentleman!

Ed