Run with a GT 40

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
A few years ago someone sent me a video of an American tourist video taping while he was driving in the UK - complete with a running blah, blah, blah commentary about this being his first time driving on the left side of the road. He encountered an oncoming lorry on a narrow road, swerved right instead of left, and hit the lorry. He continued to video tape his comments while lying on the side of the road, saying good-bye to friends and family in case he didn't survive. I have no idea if this was real or a hoax, but it was hilarious in a macabre sense.

I've searched and can't find the video, even in the Darwin Awards. Has anyone seen this video?

Your narrative illustrates why there's no way in God's world you'll ever see Pockets behind the wheel in any "right hand drive" country. 'Just too darned ingrained with "left side" rules/habits/reactions. I marvel at anyone who can simply throw a mental switch and make that transition.

(NEVER MIND, CLINTON (et al!). Just never mind. Don't bother..:slap.)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Your narrative illustrates why there's no way in God's world you'll ever see Pockets behind the wheel in any "right hand drive" country. 'Just too darned ingrained with "left side" rules/habits/reactions. I marvel at anyone who can simply throw a mental switch and make that transition.

(NEVER MIND, CLINTON (et al!). Just never mind. Don't bother..:slap.)

My wife drives both in the US and Japan and seem to handle the right or left side similarly, but not stellar in either case. I always stay on the RIGHT! I believe EP is on the RIGHT too, but seldom if ever drives there. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My wife drives both in the US and Japan and seem to handle the right or left side similarly, but not stellar in either case. I always stay on the RIGHT! I believe EP is on the RIGHT too, but seldom if ever drives there. :lol

Yeeeew don't follow printed 'struckshuns too awful so pretty good, do yuh? :frown

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona

What's surprised me is that it's harder for me to adapt back to the right side when I come home, and that driving on the left side of the road seems more natural. A British friend here in Phoenix theorizes that it's because the oncoming traffic is on the driver's dominant side (for right-handers, that is). I haven't come up with anything else that makes any sense - other than suffering from too much sun in my childhood :biggrin.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What's surprised me is that it's harder for me to adapt back to the right side when I come home, and that driving on the left side of the road seems more natural. A British friend here in Phoenix theorizes that it's because the oncoming traffic is on the driver's dominant side (for right-handers, that is). I haven't come up with anything else that makes any sense - other than suffering from too much sun in my childhood :biggrin.

Regardless, it's all completely BACKWARDS. I'd be scared to death that, in a sudden EMERGENCY avoidance situation, I'd instantly revert back to "left hand drive" mental processes...with the predictable results. :willy:willy:willy

In fact, it creeps me out a bit just to see a rt hand drive car being driven on the streets over HERE! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Regardless, it's all completely BACKWARDS. I'd be scared to death that, in a sudden EMERGENCY avoidance situation, I'd instantly revert back to "left hand drive" mental processes...with the predictable results. :willy:willy:willy

In fact, it creeps me out a bit just to see a rt hand drive car being driven on the streets over HERE! :lol

I have trouble enough walking across the streets in a right hand drive world. I look to the left, looks clear, I put a foot into the street while looking to the right, and WOW a car is coming to to put my lights out!

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
A British friend here in Phoenix theorizes that it's because the oncoming traffic is on the driver's dominant side (for right-handers, that is). I haven't come up with anything else that makes any sense - other than suffering from too much sun in my childhood :biggrin.

It's to do with having your sword arm free to defend yourself when riding a horse - keeping to the left means you can fight the oncoming traffic! This was enshrined in all documentary advice in the late 1700's and became law in 1835. Cars simply followed suit.

Most racing cars were right hand drive up until the 50's - all Bugattis were for example...

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Jack's GT 40 was built to his specifications, I'm really not sure why he wanted it right hand drive other than that's how they were originally built in Britain.

He races at Daytona, right hand drive really doesn't bother him.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I drove in Australia for two weeks and really never got used to it, I seemed to get comfortable and then when something would happen that took extra attention it was hard not to react in the wrong direction

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It's to do with having your sword arm free to defend yourself when riding a horse - keeping to the left means you can fight the oncoming traffic! This was enshrined in all documentary advice in the late 1700's and became law in 1835. Cars simply followed suit.

Interesting. 'Another case where historical needs/standards dictated modern adoptions of same.

'Same principle involved where the width of the Roman chariots ended up dictating the width of roads in Europe...and, curiously enough, railroad tracks as well later on. And people from Europe then brought those same measurement standards over here to the U.S.!

History Professor Pockets

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
And people from Europe then brought those same measurement standards over here to the U.S.!

History Professor Pockets

Europe moved on and we are still using the old standards!

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup Exactly!

I drove in Australia for two weeks and really never got used to it, I seemed to get comfortable and then when something would happen that took extra attention it was hard not to react in the wrong direction

Had a sudden head-on situation on an isolated very narrow road in NW Scottland - fortunately my reaction was to go left, because there was no time to think about what to do.

I still think Neil's got the most challenging situation with his GT, with lots of narrow roads, a wide car, the driver next to the edge of the road - and all the other drivers not paying attention to what they're doing because they're gawking at his GT!! :eek

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
'Same principle involved where the width of the Roman chariots ended up dictating the width of roads in Europe...and, curiously enough, railroad tracks as well later on. And people from Europe then brought those same measurement standards over here to the U.S.!

The Romans also drove on the left - it has been shown that cart tracks leading to and from granite and marble mines were more deeply rutted when leaving the mines (laden) on the left..... Driving your horse/carriage on the right was actually a form of religious and social protest (against the Papacy and aristocracy).

This is the Roman Forum isn't it? :biggrin

Yes the GT in the UK is challenging, country roads are real heart in the mouth motoring!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neilda, perhaps instead of heart in mouth disease, you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). You should see a gastroenterologist. Dr. Frank

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Driving your horse/carriage on the right was actually a form of religious and social protest (against the Papacy and aristocracy).

...which must explain why WE embraced the practice and made it the law of the land over here! :lol :cheers