Road legal tires for a track day ?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
Doing track day w some friends. Rule is car must be road spec, no slicks allowed :frown

Is there a sticky new road tire we can use ?

Thanks

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Hoosiers are the best .Just don’t use them in the rain

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The Hoosier r6 is a "dot" tire, that at has a "tread". The tread is 3-4 grooves. Hoosier clearly says on their website they are not intended for road use. However, I as well as many others have used them on the street. You will have to find out if this qualifies. Outside of the bridgestones, there isn't any other tire that fits the OEM wheels. If you are using non OEM wheels, the next suggestion would be Michelin pilot sport cup tires. These are a moulded "shaved" design intended for track use.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I second the pilot sport cup tires. Good sticky tire durable for d.e.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The new Pirellis are real nice too .I like them better than the MPSC

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
R6's are now superseded by the R7 which is more of a full slick. FYI
R6's can still be had but they are essentially obsolete.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
R6s aren't obsolete. But the R7 will eventually replace the R6. Neither tire comes in a size that can be used on the OEM rear 18" wheel. Here is a little description of the A7 which is the Autocross version of the Roadrace R7.

"Hoosier's A7 is a DOT-legal slick tread design with alternating five-dash circumferential grooves interrupting the solid grip surface. In addition to the new look of the five-dash grooves, the A7 features a new tread compound designed to extend wear and useable heat cycles. The tire is also designed so that it has less “fall-off” during a long run and less degradation over the life of the tire compared to the previous A6 version."

The new R7 & old R6 grooves are for the tire to be DOT Legal. They are there only to measure tire wear. The holes that are on slicks to measure tire wear aren't Federally legal. The Feds wants grooves. Michelin Pilot Sport Cups have surface tread on half the tire which quickly wear away. The tires then look like Hoosiers. Both are great DOT legal tires for the track.

Ed

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Whose "rule"? A class or event specific, of your own personal requirements? How important is wet weather performance? What's your experience level?

Hoosier R6/7 - road 'legal' slicks.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2/Pirelli Trofeo R - minimal tread, still somewhat dangerous in the wet.
Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Best wet/dry (track capable daily driver) tire out there.

Unless you're an advanced driver who just cares about lap times, I would go with the Super Sports.