Report from Willow Springs

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
Went to Willow Springs, a famous old racetrack in the high desert above Lancaster. The occasion was the Cobra Owners of Orange County meet.
There were at least three new Ford GTs on the track, two red ones, and a black one which seemed to have yellow tinted headlamp covers. All appeared stock except the black one had gumball tires. There was also a kit GT40, half a dozen real Cobras (several owned by Lynn Park) and dozens of replica Cobras.What made this event interesting was the presence of about 50 one time employees of ShelbyAmerican, the guys that made the original cars that built the legend. I spent $50 to join the luncheon for these guys and it was worth it as I heard several good stories I hadn't heard before.I didn't see the old guys comment on the new Ford GT but I know they were pleased as punch to see all the interest in the cars they built over 40 years ago. Shelby was supposed to be there, was sick but did call in and say "We're doin' it all over again" in Las Vegas. He is now making the Hertz Shelbys for Ford and recently started offering a kit GT40.