Replacing rear tires

Arm

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
South Florida
My car has ~800 miles on it now, and I just discovered a bolt embedded in the left rear tire (probably fell off the car :rofl)

I'm not sure how the Goodyears wear, can I get away with replacing just the left rear or should I replace both rears? I haven't pushed the car very hard at all yet, I've been waiting to hit the 1000 mile mark.

Thanks.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The tyres should be good for 5,000 miles - unless you're spinning wheels.

Maybe, as you can swap the wheels (we're informed they are not directional) you could change your tyre and rim - and have a fresh spare, ready to roll in your garage? I did this with my Murcielago. Never used it!! But it looks good!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I picked up a side wall nail a few weeks back. Car had 1800mi. on it. I replaced only one tire and haven't notice any problem. Also noticed that the differenc between 0mi. and 1800mi. tread depth was almost not measurable.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Neilda said:
The tyres should be good for 5,000 miles - unless you're spinning wheels.
I would expect to get considerably more than that given normal driving. What is the wear rating on the F1?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
ARM, I to have had a bolt in each of the rear tires. Happened at 750 Mi and at 1,500 Mi., the day I took off for the rally in Detroit. Also one in each rear tire.

Both times I had the tire "patched" from the inside and they have held up. Car now has ~5.5k Mi on it and will need tires in about another 2k miles, just in time for spring hopefully...

Bottom Line - they can be patched. If you are not going to track it - the patch should hold...

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
MAD IN NC said:
ARM, I to have had a bolt in each of the rear tires.
Bottom Line - they can be patched. If you are not going to track it - the patch should hold...

Caught a screw in the drivers rear tire with 2300 miles. Hated to do it but had to replace it. In a lesser car I would have patched it and gone on. I think driving a car at 150 MPH with a plug or patch in it would be taking your life in your hands. If you can afford the car, you can afford a new tire (currently on sale at Tirerack for $322).

I could notice the difference in tread depth visually but not in handling or any other way. Peace of mind is worth the expense!

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Ditto that remark Texas GT! On some cars, e.g. Porsche, the dealer will never patch the tire - ya gotta get a new one! Of course, the bigger and stickier the tire, the more crap its gonna pick up. It's not worth the savings to just plug it - plus imagine if you had a family member in the passenger seat and had a tire failure. Unforgivable. Prevention is the best cure - don't risk it.