reason why you can't leave the new GT in track mode while not running?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
....The GT's electric hydraulic pump powers the active suspension, the active aero, and the steering.

Stormcat - I'm confident that Xcentric was correct in his statement.

Ed

PS Is there any way we can use the hydraulic system to get our GTs to hop around like a low rider?

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Ed

PS Is there any way we can use the hydraulic system to get our GTs to hop around like a low rider?

Unfortunately this will not work with the zip tie lowering kit ....

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Stormcat - I'm confident that Xcentric was correct in his statement.

Ed

Damn it Ed, I wanted to be the first GT that could do that!

Vince H

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
"The simplest answer is that the hydraulic pressure used to power your suspension comes from the GT's hydraulic power steering pump."

Some magazines have also written that the power steering pump operates other hydraulic systems. I'll take a stab at fixing this:

The GT's electric hydraulic pump powers the active suspension, the active aero, and the steering.

Lol, this is a distinction without a difference. How about this, the GT’s rear wing hydraulic system also powers the steering and suspension systems. How many ways can we say the same thing? The magazines weren’t wrong or being deceptive, they were explaining to readers that the power steering hydraulic pump also powers other systems. I’ve never read an article that said the new GT had an engine driven pump. But splitting more hairs probably won’t add much. I think everybody gets it. Bottom line, your new GT won’t be displayed at C&C in track mode. Cheers.

Chip

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I always thought that the aero downforce on the wing was so great that it powered the suspension and power steering functions...:lol

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
..... Bottom line, your new GT won’t be displayed at C&C in track mode. Cheers. Chip

It will if you don't mind it idling for 3 hours.

Ed

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Kevin.... Now that’s funny.... they could have used the designer black version.... have you found the blue in your color?

Last edited:

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I love my truck engine.... lots of ponies.....
It may be a dead horse to you, but I guarantee I'll be hearing at Cars and Coffee for years that the GT's power steering pump operates all hydraulic systems. Just like I still hear after 13 years that the GT has a truck engine.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Guess we need Aaron Kaufman to buy a car from Andy House and put air bags on it.....
That's night that's not quite correct. There's a master hydraulic system that runs different systems . steering is one of them. People don't understand it because it's never been done on a road car..

the reason people want to see it drop is because they only know airbag systems .When you deflate them allows the car to drop. this system it's not like that and completely different to what most people know.

Yea and I hear this all the time at the car shows. "Oh you mean that car has an alternator and needs electricity to operate?? oh my God how archaic I wouldn't drive it!."..:lol

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
To paraphrase someone; never has so much and so repetitive been written about something so esoteric.

I am sure that Ford thought about this a lot, and like so many excellent engineering features of your fantastic car, got it right.

Whether you are up or down today, Happy Thanksgiving.