Washington State
'Don't know how much of this is truth or fiction, but, here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28471907/from/ET/

Maybe Neilda knows something about it?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I heard about this about a week ago - it hasn't made the headlines, but in the car community it's quite big news and is factual. The auction houses say they were onto this car some while ago - but then they would say that!

BBC:

A classic Bugatti car, which gathered dust in a Tyneside garage for almost 50 years, may fetch up to £3m ($4.35m) when it goes under the hammer.

Relatives of reclusive Newcastle doctor Harold Carr found the 1937 Type 57S Atalante in a garage after he died.

Now the classic car, thought to be one of just 17 built, is to be sold by Bonhams in Paris next month.

It was originally owned by Earl Howe - first president of the British Racing Drivers' Club.

Dr Carr, a former army surgeon, left the contents of a lock-up garage to his family when he died in 2007.

As well as the Bugatti, his nephew also discovered a classic Aston Martin, and a Jaguar E-type in the lock-up.

The nephew, an engineer from Newcastle, said: "We just can't believe it.

"Of course we're delighted and we're going to make sure the money is shared out among the family. It's a wonderful thing to leave."

Earl Howe took delivery of the sporty two-seat Atalante after it was completed in 1937 and kept the car for eight years.

After Earl Howe sold it, it changed hands a couple of times before Dr Carr bought the car in 1955 from Lord Ridley, a member of the Northumberland gentry.

He drove the car for the first few years, but in 1960 it was parked in his garage where it remained until his death.

James Knight, international head of Bonhams' motoring department, said: "I have known of this Bugatti for a number of years and, like a select group of others, hadn't dared divulge its whereabouts to anyone.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"Relatives of reclusive Newcastle doctor Harold Carr found the 1937 Type 57S Atalante in a garage AFTER HE DIED."

I should think at least SOME of the family would have known about this car all along. 'Seems very odd no one supposedly did.

Thanks, Neil.

('Wonder if Jay Leno will be bidding on it...)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The guy was an eccentric recluse, a bit like Bony, so you can kinda see how it might happen. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'No comment! None! Nada!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
The guy was an eccentric recluse, a bit like Bony, so you can kinda see how it might happen. :biggrin

so your saying that Bony is holding out on us?:biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm not eccentric, just different.... here I am cheering up my friends around the Christmas tree...

Attachments

• 498645008_3e4b33f467_o.jpg
    498645008_3e4b33f467_o.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 93

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'm not eccentric, just different.... here I am cheering up my friends around the Christmas tree...

I recall from an old post you got Lorna a broom one year, did you borrow it for Christmas?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=50011&postcount=3

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Nope, her broom is over at Harry Winston's Airmotive Division for a 5000 hour major.... :)