Questions from a newcomer

gascap

Jun 7, 2006
New York City area
I’m new to the forum and seriously considering the purchase of a Ford GT, now that they have become available. I’d appreciate any advice members can offer. By the way, like others whose posts I’ve read, my appreciation for the GT arises from recalling the glory days of the ‘60s. I was a spectator at Le Mans in 1965 when Fords were fielded but lost. I’d add – for those of you who are unfamiliar with it – the movie “A Man and A Woman” from that same era. It’s the movie that mixes romance and cars better than any other. The hero is a Ford racer and the test track scene with a GT40 will stir the blood of any GT lover.
My questions:
1. I’m concerned most about front visibility which in the showroom seemed very confined because of the tapering front roof pillars. What’s your experience on the road, please. This is the main issue for me.
2. I’m concerned about the famine-to-feast change in the availability of these cars with the production run not yet over. There are 55, mainly new ones, offered for sale on Ebay vs. 7 F430 and 68 360 Ferraris. I know about the 430 availability problems. The 360s sold in the US market most be three or more times the Ford GT production run.
3. Have you noticed how few east coast members of this forum there are? Just a random thing?
Thanks

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I'm not best position to comment - but feel in a chatty mood today!

There's no problem with front visibility, those pillars don't exclude much. Rear visibility is awful as is the threequarter view. However with a bit of practice and nerves of steel, the car can be moved around in tight spots!

The European experience of values and availability is too different to offer you any great perspective. We have a population of roughly 358 million and there are 101 official GT's. You have a population of 362 million and probably 3,500 GT's floating about, so it's different. However the GT is an instant classic car - and, as you suggest, it rather stirs the spirit to see one!

There are quite a few on this forum who would NEVER part with their GT (I'm one of them), so depreciation or residual values are just academic topics really.

I'd be tempted to take the plunge and buy one! It's a wonderful car and I do not regret, even for a second, buying mine - I love it.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Gascap what's up? I'm from NY, live in CT now though. Where are you in NY?
Well said Neilda!!!
Anyway, you're right in saying the visibility is difficult but not at all a big deal in getting use to. Like everything you learn to adjust and if you have areas of discomfort, be concious of those and respond accordingly.

As far as the comparison to the Ebay site, I wouldn't put any value in it.
A) The 430 is a 400k plus car, apples and oranges!
B) In 2 months you'll see how fast these cars dry up when production stops.
C) Love your little story about the movie...

All just my opinion, don't put to much thought into any of it, if you want the car buy it, you won't regret it.

BD40

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Look at fordgtprices.com. Also memorize the stats such as ther are at least 600 pending sale. The salesmen will back down pretty quick if you know that the one in their showroom is not the only one in the universe offered for sale.

I saw a Tungston for 4K under in the cars for sale section. If you can wait I think the prices will drop a little more. I wish I would have had the willpower to wait till the end of this year, but I already have some stories that I will never forget. 99% of them with the car parked with the ignition off.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
check out the interview of centerpunch

Check out the interview of centerpunch. There is a thread to it on this forum. I think its under the title "my 15 minutes of fame" or something like that. Centerpunch is the author of the fordgtprices website. He has some good observations about the market and the desireability of the car. He also points out that next year there will be a new Ferrari, Corvette, etc., but not so for the GT.
Forward view is not a problem. There is no rearview to speak of.

gascap

Jun 7, 2006
New York City area
Thanks for these enjoyable replies.
Neilda -- I used to live in London (West Hampstead). Drove an XJ-6 into the country on weekends, often at speeds greater than 100mph without police trouble. I hope that sort of freedom persists on British roads.
Bigdan -- I'm in Westchester. Don't know who will service the car here. F430s are actually about $200k MSRP but selling at high premiums because airbag regulation problems are rumored to has shut off the flow of cars to the US with lots of new demand in the Middle and Far East. Don't know any of this first-hand though.

Why are there so few midnight blue GTs?

BTW, I've attached a picture of my current gascap which I won't give up if I buy a new one (with GT attached).

Attachments

• gascap.jpg
    gascap.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 173

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Gascap.

I have a Midnight Blue GT...unfortunately it's not for sale :biggrin

Seriously though, the production run of F360s is much greater than the Ford GT so it (the Ford GT) will be much rarer.

As for the F430, from what I've seen and heard, it is a wonderful car. Recently, I participated in a local charity event for seriuosly ill children, where owners of exotic cars gave rides to the children. At this event there were a number of fine machines including a Mercedes SLR and two F430s. Surprisingly (or maybe not) the Ford GT stole the show with swarms of children and onlookers gawking and fawning.

The fact that is performs better than the F430 is gravy.

Eric

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Gascap, I grew up in Port Chester, moved to CT in '98. I did not realize the 430 was that low in price, I thought it was higher. Maybe it was the ragtop I'm thinking about.
Their are a couple of threads here that mention build count on different colors, haven't followed it much though! I own a Tungsten w/silver stripes that I bought in Danbury. Tungsten is an '06 color only but I've heard they built a substantial amount in this combo for '06!

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
The only visibility issue that I have had is when turning left the A-pillar causes a blind spot right where you need to see to track your turn, easily overcome by leaning up an inch or two..

The one piece of advice that I like to offer to people considering a GT or a GTX1 is that you install small round convex mirrors on the side mirrors so that you can park and back up easily without fear of being blind. They are a MUST for this car in my mind..

The only other advice that I offer... drive them, drive them a lot..

~grace

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ferrari 360 & 430 numbers vs GT

I don't compare the 360 & 430 Ferraris with the Ford GT. They are produced in much larger quantities than the GT. They are not collectable cars & in my opinion do not have the look & performance of the GT.

Ed

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
CarBuilderGirl said:
The one piece of advice that I like to offer to people considering a GT or a GTX1 is that you install small round convex mirrors on the side mirrors so that you can park and back up easily without fear of being blind.

I agree.

Bought some round ones that rotate (can set to get best view) from Walgreens for $1.99. They (as well as ones from Autozone, etc) come with double sided tape so you can just stick them on the mirrors and if you don't like them they come right back off.

Best thing I've done for the GT - can see much more to the rear, and they actually don't look that bad. Obviously since they are smaller it is not a full rear view, but you can definitely see things behind you when changing lanes.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
At 6'3" the only visibility issue I'm having trouble getting used to is seeing stop lights.
If I'm first in line the light is above my view area. Thus I have to cock my head to view the change from red to green........or just wait for the horn to blow from the car behind. :bored

Last edited:

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
You would be a good person to consider having the seat lowered,.. we can get a gain of 2 inches in your line of sight. I have noticed when taller persons sit in the car their line of sight is kind of in the visor,.. I can see how stop lights would be an issue. Anyway, the seat conversion comes with a lift that allows shorter persons to be able to put it at stock ride height when someone else needs to drive the car.. and the seat looks the same and is just as comfortable of a ride, that may help you out..

~Grace

options list, lowered seats

CarBuilderGirl

May 28, 2006
Seattle, WA
do you know how that is for sun glare? sorry to bug you with this, just curious about the details from someone with personal experience.. like the small mirrors, it's good to have a bag of solutions handy for people who need them..

thanks
~Grace

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Thanks to the both of you.