New Mustang

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nice find. I think it looks good in the pics.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
As most of you gentleman are aware, I am not a Mustang fan. When I heard it was "new" for 2010 I was expecting a change like from 2004 to 2005...noticeable. I just looked at the photos and to a non-Mustang fanatic I can't see any "big differences. I'm not talking mechanical or non-visual things, but it to be "new" it should be noticeable at first glance. I am a Ford stockholder so please don't bash me for my opinion.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
I am a Mustang fan, but I agree with you Prowler. Not really much of a change as I see it.

Saw the coverage on Speed last night and was disappointed. Still a low 315 HP for the "new" Mustang GT.

If General Motors lasts long enough, I'm afraid the Camaro will kick the Mustang's butt. ( again! )

You have to spend the big bucks for the Shelbys to get horsepower!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The interior is a huge improvement. The exterior, not so much.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Back is a disaster.

Front/hood apears to be inspired by '69

@ $19K for a base/v6, it will sell like hotcakes

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I Like It

I LIKE IT
:usa

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yesiree, now ANYONE can order a heritage colored pony car.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
If General Motors lasts long enough, I'm afraid the Camaro will kick the Mustang's butt. ( again! )

Hahahahaha that's funny I still have a stockpile of '69 + '70 Mustangs, and they have never lost to a Camaro of the same era.

Besides - did Ford discontinue the Mustang and then bring it back in desperation? - I didn't think so. :biggrin

Don't get me wrong the Camaro is a great looking car especially if you can handle a 6 cylinder for the first year. Maybe we will see some muscle, reminisent of yesteryear, in year two.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Don't get me wrong the Camaro is a great looking car especially if you can handle a 6 cylinder for the first year. Maybe we will see some muscle, reminisent of yesteryear, in year two.

After the GM bailout the Feds, won't let them build any more gas guzzlers.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I LIKE IT
:usa

We think alike my friend.............

Super charger here we come, the new hood and rear 1/4's look fantastic

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The Mustang doesn't mean as much in the UK as it does in the US.... however I'd say two things.

The Mustang seems to get as much attention in the UK as the FGT - people love the look. In France the Mustang seems to get more attention!

I wouldn't own one as it's too close but not as good as the GT - if that makes sense.

Dumb question time - is the Mustang engine related in any way to the GT engine?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Yes. They're made by the same company. :biggrin

(Sorry, Neil. You lead with your chin & I just couldn't help myself! Or as Ron White would say, I knew I had the right to remain silent...I just didn't have the ability.)

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Yes. The Mustang engine in the GT500 is from the same family of engines the Ford GT is from. Beyond the fact that they are both 5.4L modular Ford V8's, they share very little else in the way of components. Also, the GT has a twin screw blower and the GT500 has a roots blower. The GT motor would also not transplant easily because it is dry sump and the starter is located differently because of the transaxle.

Not a dumb question, as people often reference them as being almost the same in the press because of the shared displacement.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Shared content on 5.4L iron-to-aluminum GT design was 17% ~ e.g. 83% new parts. All of c/o content was in miscellanous, all the important stuff was new. There was a thread on this topic long ago I seem to recall.

As DBK mentioned there is often confusion, the one I often hear about is Top Gear/J. Clarkston's reference to the motor being borne out of the old F150 Lightning motor ~ just the measurements for displacement, bore and stroke, JC. I recall even the bore spacings in the GT motor to be different.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
They are different...

Yep, as Dave and Cobrar point out the engines share the same displacement and little else. This leads to quite a bit of confusion to those not technically schooled. Thus, Neilda, the question is very appropriate and not a "dumb" question at all.

Pockets.....LOL at your GREAT come back. That was stellar!!!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Yes. The Mustang engine in the GT500 is from the same family of engines the Ford GT is from. Beyond the fact that they are both 5.4L modular Ford V8's, they share very little else in the way of components. Also, the GT has a twin screw blower and the GT500 has a roots blower. The GT motor would also not transplant easily because it is dry sump and the starter is located differently because of the transaxle.

Not a dumb question, as people often reference them as being almost the same in the press because of the shared displacement.

Thanks for that - I was kind of getting around to thinking about spare engine parts in the future....

Seee, not a dumb question Larry. See. The boss said. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks for that - I was kind of getting around to thinking about spare engine parts in the future....

Seee, not a dumb question Larry. See. The boss said. :lol

'Never said 'twas, sir! 'Twas you who hung ("hanged"?) that label onnit! (And jus' incase you've forgotten, I'M the one who asks the "dumb" questions 'round here...and makes th' dumb replies as well.:bored)