New Jersey Inspection

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Got my GT last month and finally received plates and registration. My plan was to apply for "Collector Car" status, thus exempting me from NJ Inspection (triangular Inspection sticker). I have the required Collector Car insurance and limited mileage policy. I went to the Oakland DMV and paid my $25 for the initial Collector Car Voucher. That Voucher is to be brought to any NJ Inspection location for the triangular sticker. The Oakland DMV told me that the Voucher must be renewed every three months (!), $10 each time. Does the triangular Collector Car Inspection sticker have an expiration date on it? Is it two years, like every other NJ Inspection cycle, or is it three months? Or should I just go through the full Inspection and get a conventional two year, square sticker. What do you NJ guys do?

Howard

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Got my GT last month and finally received plates and registration. My plan was to apply for "Collector Car" status, thus exempting me from NJ Inspection (triangular Inspection sticker). I have the required Collector Car insurance and limited mileage policy. I went to the Oakland DMV and paid my $25 for the initial Collector Car Voucher. That Voucher is to be brought to any NJ Inspection location for the triangular sticker. The Oakland DMV told me that the Voucher must be renewed every three months (!), $10 each time. Does the triangular Collector Car Inspection sticker have an expiration date on it? Is it two years, like every other NJ Inspection cycle, or is it three months? Or should I just go through the full Inspection and get a conventional two year, square sticker. What do you NJ guys do?

Howard

Howard it's not a bad idea but I found it inconvenient.

But here is some info.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729792

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To get a "collector car" plate in Wash. St. the car has to be "X" years old or older. That's not the case in Jeerzee?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
To get a "collector car" plate in Wash. St. the car has to be "X" years old or older. That's not the case in Jeerzee?

Well it's because it's Jeerzee:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well it's because it's Jeerzee:rofl

I shudda knowed! :cheers

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
You are correct on the collector car inspection lifecycle in NJ. i decided it was more convenient to just do the conventional 2 year inspection. PD

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
You are correct on the collector car inspection lifecycle in NJ. i decided it was more convenient to just do the conventional 2 year inspection. PD

Agreed ........... That's what I did.:thumbsup

But I was not aware of the front plate exemption.

Preston ... We should arrange a meet and greet.

Last edited:

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Epilog: Well, I'm becoming an expert at NJ Inspection. Yes, the "Collector Car" sticker is tempting but the three month life cycle is ridiculous. For you out-of-staters, "Collector Car" (high value, low quantity) is different than "Historic" (25 years or older). The Historic plates in NJ are quite liberal: no re-registration fee, ever; no Inspection, ever; 2500 mile annual limit; only one license plate required. Collector Car status only gets you no Inspection, but with the three month expiration (what were they thinking??), 3000 mile annual limit, TWO license plates required (no exemption as in Historic). So, today I got a conventional, two year Inspection sticker at a private garage ($82), where they cared for the GT much more than it would have seen at a free state facility. By the way, while the GT was on the computer having its OBD read, stores all around the garage emptied out, including the shopkeepers, to see the GT and take photos. One guy ran home to get a professional videocam. Parked outside the garage it stopped traffic on Main Street, Pompton Lakes.

Howard

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Parked outside the garage it stopped traffic on Main Street, Pompton Lakes.

Howard

They always do !

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
They always do !

AMEN to that...