Need New Muffler

PEGGED

May 4, 2006
I Need A New Muffler,oem Is Approx 2,300 Any Recommendations On What To Replace It With.thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Lots of posts here on recommendations. Spend some time to read. Use the search function and look for "exhaust".

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Does the oem muffler include the convertors ie are the convertors as well as the mullers inside the rectangular can ?

PEGGED

May 4, 2006
need new muffler

Dont Know,i Was Told I Need Rear Muffler Only.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Dr Robert Harms said:
Does the oem muffler include the convertors ie are the convertors as well as the mullers inside the rectangular can ?

No - if you look between the engine and the muffler, you can see the somewhat bullet shaped converters with wires hooked up (look for wires going to the exhaust).

Dr Robert Harms

GT Owner
Nov 24, 2005
Thats what I thought. Therefore, if memory serves, the muffler is basically a can with 2 inlets--one on either side of the bottom and 2 outlets that are the actual exhaust tips. What is inside is unknown but logically the left lower inlet feeds out the right tip and vise versa.

Again, by memory, no less a source than Al Brutoni took basically the same design dilemma and replaced the whole can with 4 transverse glass packs (aka Cherry Bomb or the like) and a number of very very standard 90 and 180 bends and came out with a great sounding and very cheap to manufacture exhaust system . The outlets were "2 over 2" and looked excellent. Note, of course that cheap to manufacture and cheap materials may not equate to cheap to sell (but should) . Remaking a system in this manner would do away with the can and would likely be cooler and lighter.