My axle fell out of my tranny!

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Well it happened to me thankfully close to my house. Oil went everywhere. My wife had to pull me home with her Lexus. Oh well what are you going to do it is at Ford now. If you have not taken your GT in for the TSB take it in you will be stranded if not. :frown

Kenric

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Black GT said:
Well it happened to me thankfully close to my house.

It happened real close to my house both times and with my wife in the car!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kenric,

Would you mind to post the year and last 4-digits of your VIN? Thanks.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I don't have the Vin #'s with me but as soon as I can I will post. Hopefully they can fix it and not have it happen again. That worries me that it sounds like it happened twice in the above post.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Kenric, it should not happen again. The field fix performed on Abolfaz's car the first time was done incorrectly by the dealer.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Isn't the real problem here that there is still no official TSB on this? Yes, there are some upgraded parts, and if you are lucky and your dealer either knows of, or researches the issue properly, they can help you out. I took my car to my dealer for some other cosmetic warranty work and I verbally gave them a summary of what is often discussed here and asked them to look into it and they claimed they could not find anything regarding the issue. So my question is - is there yet any kind of TSB on this?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I believe that one of the reasons why no TSB has been released is due to accountability and repsonsibility. Ricardo pointing fingers at Ford and Ford pointing fingers at Ricardo. The unfortunate thing is that the customer is truly getting the short end of the stick. I know people who have had their car out of commission a month plus waiting the the bolts and washers to be available (apparently they have been on backorder) by Ford. Absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable in my book. Definitely sheds some light and provides clarity to why FORD is facing financial issues. Lots of recalls on many models and many of these issues were not taken care of at the onset. Maybe at some point FORD will start pointing the fingers at themselves......

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wait a minute, didn't you guys read and download the TSB published here on this website by Red Rocket? Look under halfshaft bolt answers, recently.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
My bad - I missed that post. Thank you for pointing me in that direction, and thanks to RedRocket for posting it.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hopefully they can fix it and not have it happen again.

Kenric,

Make sure that you get both sides updated.... only one of your sides has just failed but both sides should get the update.

Ping me if you want the update kit. I have an extra one and allegedly they are hard to find.

By the way, the fix/update is pretty straightforward and as long as you find a somewhat competent Ford dealer to do the fix, you should have your car back pretty quickly.

Best regards,
Kendall

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
My 05 is #1222, I recently had the updates done, and sure enough, mine had the early version (silver) washers... both had begun to distort slightly at 2K miles.

mardyn

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
nota4re, does the update kit contain the bolts and washers to do both sides of the car or do you need one kit per side? PD

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
mardyn said:
My 05 is #1222, I recently had the updates done, and sure enough, mine had the early version (silver) washers... both had begun to distort slightly at 2K miles.

mardyn

Same thing on mine.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
nota4re, does the update kit contain the bolts and washers to do both sides of the car or do you need one kit per side? PD

The kit, 4G7Z-7B368-BA includes precisely (4) M8 x 1.25 pitch x 25mm Allen bolts and (2) 45mm diameter x 5mm thick washers with each washer having two holes for the M8 allens. The holes are approximately 14mm ctr to ctr.

This kit is referred to in the first post of the thread here.

To add insult to injury, the "kit" is obviously incomplete as the 12 bolts (6 per side) that are needed to assemble the flanges back together are not included. And then there's the price..... the washers are obviously constructed of unobtanium because the kit cost is $72 after applying a 25% discount.

Recognizing the bargain as I did, another member here has already spoken for my kit...