Lower suspension with shorter springs?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Isn't it possible to lower the car by simply placing a shorter spring in the suspension? Seems drastically cheaper, and as long as you account for the rate, should work just as well, right? Which by the way, does anyone know the rate and length of the springs, so an adjusted set could be ordered. Thanks.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Lowered ride height

Or you could install an adjustable spring seat. In place of the fixed factory part.

Allowing you to lower the ride height. without going to a shorter custom made spring.

And you get the freedom to fine tune or adjust the height with the threaded aftermarket adjuster.

For less money than a custom spring set.

To answer your question:

The front spring rate is 200 lb. / in.
The rear is 280 lb. / in.
Measured at the installed on the shock length.
(and there is a pre-load before installed length)
Sorry I do not have the free length.

Hope that helps

Alex

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
MR2Race said:
Or you could install an adjustable spring seat. In place of the fixed factory part.

Allowing you to lower the ride height. without going to a shorter custom made spring.
(and there is a pre-load before installed length)
Alex

Doesn't lowering the car with an adjustable spring Seat change the preload? :confused

Aug 25, 2006
Good question

The OEM strut arrangement is in fact a captured spring design that as has been described is preloaded during the assembly however I do not think that it is so much the preloading of the suspension but rather the by product of the assembly process. If you were to replace the OEM strut to one with an adjustable spring perch/lower collar the required spring rate should not change because the laws of physics remain in place which in the case the only potential variable has not changed; the weight of the gal’s corner.

Typically the spring rate will be determined as what is sufficient to maintain a specific ride height while allowing the freedom of movement throughout the shocks stroke without coil bind. Then you can get into a linear versus progress spring configurations as well as the inertia and or force required to make this movement happen.

To be continued

Shadowman

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
continued; I did this in two parts because it appeared I was attempting to place too much text in one reply

I have not looked at mine in the front however it appears to me that the springs at the rear are of the linear configuration.

The OEM strut once assembled, installed, and the weight of the gal is placed upon it becomes compressed to a theoretical neutral point, typically this is defined as the center point of the shocks travel if not there would only be compression while the gal was sitting static because the shock would at that point be acting like a strut.

Takes care

Shadowman

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Whatttttttttttttttttt?

Aug 25, 2006
Alright to simply answer the question; no

Shadowman

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Not very Practical For Street Use

Gulf GT said:
Isn't it possible to lower the car ....l.
NFW ..... that is, not if you live in Philadelphia and wish to keep the front spoiler and rear diffuser on the car. I can barely clear my own driveway. The car is quite low enough!

Aug 25, 2006
Now to clarify to the owner of this board and the members;

If I enjoy the board then yes I try to contribute something and if the results are a bit more wordy than some; well that is simply my attempt to clarify and I suppose part of my make-up. In addition I also look at the boards as a resource too of which this one is "Thumbs Up".

Mark this is a good board with what seem to me to be some rather cool and down to earth people as such might I suggest that you call me directly if some lingering issue between us remains but most importantly let’s not let this board become a reflection of yours.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
ACRJoe said:
NFW ..... that is, not if you live in Philadelphia and wish to keep the front spoiler and rear diffuser on the car. I can barely clear my own driveway. The car is quite low enough!

On this issue we agree.

Shadowman