Low fuel light ?

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Do we have one ? if not how deep into the red section on the fuel gauge can we go ? i've only filled up twice so far but as soon as i get near the red i start looking for a gas station.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It comes on when you are extremely low. I believe it just says “check gauges".

no reason to run that low, especially if you are doing some hard pulls.

Reactions: Twturbo

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Also, if you do run it out you run the risk of killing the fuel pump(s). I've seen it MANY times.

Submoose

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 28, 2023
St. Louis, MO
I’ve filled up 7 times so far, most I put in was 13.4 gallons and I felt low, but not deep in the red at that time.

Reactions: Twturbo

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just cruising at 80-90 in 6th gear you should easy get 300 miles per full tank. Stop and go driving in the city, bumper to bumper or doing tricks in a parking lot, expect much less. If you are running on a track, figure 4-5 mpg. As stated above, don't run out of gas.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Oh yes, if you are running the Bridgestones, the tire diameter is just slightly less than the Good years, so you are actually doing 2-3 mph less than what the speedometer tells you. Doesn't help with the cops much.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I'm one of those who tends to see how far I can get on a tank. I haven't run out yet, and I have gone over 400 miles on a full tank. I've carefully measured how much I had to fill the tank. IME, the light comes on when I have about 2 gallons left. You can drive it until the light comes on then immediately fill it up and measure yourself, so you will KNOW how many gallons are still in the tank.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I'm one of those who tends to see how far I can get on a tank. I haven't run out yet, and I have gone over 400 miles on a full tank. I've carefully measured how much I had to fill the tank. IME, the light comes on when I have about 2 gallons left. You can drive it until the light comes on then immediately fill it up and measure yourself, so you will KNOW how many gallons are still in the tank.
Light came on at the track and I put about 14 gallons in so I think you're correct.

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal

Thanks Pete thats exactly what i was looking for ,so there is a light & 2 gallons left after it comes on .

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Gets to 1/4, I fill. I like to keep fuel in any tank to keep the pump cool.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
No way you should screw with running out of gas with these cars.
First, they are getting old, and there will be some sediment in the tank.
Second, you will kill many parts of the fuel system.
I don't see the point!
Best,
Mark

Reactions: Twturbo and 2112