Lincoln at the Super Bowl

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Preview of commercial for Sunday's game. Scoll down to see some of the inputs used
in the 'script'.

http://steerthescript.com/

What do you think??

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Its pretty wild how the stakes are soooo high for a superbowl add, how many companies are doing just this, using social media to tweak the spot.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ad is terrible. The product of obsessive groupthink about social media in the marketing world. Why bother getting Fallon involved if he's not in it? Who cares what idiots on Twitter think? I get the concept, but if the end result is a disjointed ad that isn't memorable as anything but a curiousity, there's no point. One of my tenants is a big player at Team Detroit on Lincoln. I'm gonna have to give her some grief over this one.

Waste of money, but then most Super Bowl ads are. It's a bummer, because I spent some time driving that car, and it's very nice, good looking vehicle in person.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
In the context of re-launching the Lincoln brand (high stakes), I was, well, surprised.

And then there is a more traditional approach (product placement F-Series) over at Budweiser. This is one of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2prAccclXs

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Isn't Lincoln supposed to be a luxury car brand? How did this ad foster/advance a luxury car image?

I'd still like to see today's Lincoln have the unmistakable look of a Lincoln like they did back in the days when even kids could tell the make of a car from 3 blocks away. Lincolns always stood out back then. They had a look all their own. Today they just 'blend in' with all the rest. (E.g.: Remember the '56 Premier? [Well, maybe most of you can't!]] The "slab-sides"? The MKIIs...all the Marks for that matter? The was no mistaking them for anything else.)

I'm shutting up now.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It definitely does nothing to portray Lincoln as a luxury brand. If you're counting on the new hipster 30-somethings twitter class to keep you in business, good luck. Most of these people are from markets that blanket will not buy or consider your product anyways, even if you had Chuck Klosterman driving the car listening to Bon Iver drinking a sustainable wheat grass smoothie.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It definitely does nothing to portray Lincoln as a luxury brand.

When did they officially 'toss in the towel'?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They haven't. It's just a dumb ad.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
1963?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This place is crawling with "hipsters" and the stereotype DBK posted above is nuts on target.

I believe most would prefer automotron self driving Prius'. I actually saw one state in an interview she would never buy any American car to protest us promoting our values around the world. :confused WTF?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

The Mark VIII in the early 90's (first grille style) was one hell of a statement (if I am understanding this statement correctly).

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Don't really like the front grill. It looks like a bad Italian mustache.

John

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The Mark VIII in the early 90's (first grille style) was one hell of a statement (if I am understanding this statement correctly).

The '72 MK IV was my fave of the post MK II era. What a head turning creation that was!

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Oddly enough, CNBC just posted that web search for Lincoln is up 242% today, MB +74%. Maybe that's because no one looks at Lincoln's site?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Believe it or not, the MKZ is a pretty hot commodity at this point, so it doesn't surprise me that people seeing the car would get them traffic.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I see that the 3.7L V6 is available. Why not the SHO engine? Could make that platform verrry interesting!