Latest Ford GT Long-Term Update

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hey guys, the latest Ford GT long-term update just posted on Insde Line. You can find it on the home page (it's one of the three "flipper" photos) until Monday afternoon. Or you can go directly to it here:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=107422

There's a mention of the Ford GT forum in the text. Thanks again DBK for setting this up. And thanks to everyone out there for providing excellent information on making the most out of the owning these fabulous cars!! :cheers

P.S. The white car is wonkawonka's. Glad we had a chance to cruise together before that car heads overseas!

Last edited:

Steve T

GT Owner
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
Maybe I just missed it...

Are they saying the bubbles/flaws in the paint formed over time or they think they have been there all along? :confused

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
That is an excellent question. I had washed the car once and never noticed them within a few weeks of getting it, and then I washed it about a month later and did notice them. But they are so small I can't be sure if they were always there or if they "developed" over time. Obviously I'm watching them closely now, but since I spotted them back in November they haven't "changed" at all. I also haven't noticed any new spots...yet.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
How the hell did they get such good MPG? I can't get better than 8 or 9 mpg!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Paint flaws and MPG

I am curious to see what percentage of GT owners have this paint issue.

Regarding gas mileage, you should be able to get about 25 to 26 MPG on the highway once the engine has broken in. It's damn hard though to pull this task off, since I am always tempted to "test the torque" on long cruises. The other problem on long cruises is that some guy in a crap-box hotrod tries to mess with you. I only managed 23.6 MPG going to Lake Havasu (5.5 hour drive) during the holiday season because I got stuck in some traffic for about 30 minutes. If I'm driving city only, then my mileage drops to the mid teens. My 2000 NSX has a drive-by-wire which is terrible for throttle response, however; it's excellent gearbox makes up for it. I just wanted to mention the gas mileage issue because I feel that with the GT, you can have your cake and eat it too... Obviously I didn't buy this rig for good gas mileage, as my Honda Insight does that best, >92 MPG, San Clemente to San Diego (about 1 hour drive). BTW, best mileage was in Palm Springs two years ago, 135 1/2 MPG over a 44 mile drive (had one hell of a tail wind).

When I wash the GT this weekend, I'll examine every square inch of the painted surfaces.

Jay

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hey Everyone,

Just a quick call out that the latest Ford GT long-term update is live. I haven't driven much in the past three months because of the crappy L.A. weather (why am I paying these real estate prices again...), but the two recent Ford GT drives are mentioned here. Thanks everyone who went to Paradise Cove, and on the SAAC drive, for giving me something to write about this time!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=107422#5

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I'm averaging about 15.3 MPG in mixed City/Hwy driving and I do "get on it" from time to time.

Car currently has about 1300 miles on the clock.

Eric

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Wow, your car is the identical twin to mine. Is it 2005 or 2006?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
EnzoBtr,

I enjoy reading your reviews and updates and I too noticed your car was outfitted identical to mine. I have not noticed any paint flaws but do have a slight clamshell alignment problem...or maybe not. I am a little picky (but not anal as my girlfriend so often opines).

My car is a 2005, VIN 1712. The label on the driver's side door says build date was 8/2005. What about yours?

Eric

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Eric, my clamshell was out of whack (can I say that?!) and I had Roush, here in the UK, adjust it. It's a very odd angle - I tested mine by seeing how much of my finger I could get in the gap one side Vs the other.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Thanks for the Advice Neil. I'll use the "Neil finger" test tonight when I get home.

Eric

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
My vin is 1456, and it was built right about July 1 (I haven't checked the sticker for the exact date, but I saw it June 29th on the assembly line and it was about to leave SSV and head to Wixom, so it had to be completed within a few days of that).

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
abolfaz said:
How the hell did they get such good MPG? I can't get better than 8 or 9 mpg!
tune it, baby !

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
ENZO BTR,
I live about a mile from PCH and Sunset. While I did not own my GT when the Paradise Cove day happened, how do I find out about future events??Thanks much.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
We usually set up events through this forum, so just keep watching the topics and you'll probably hear about upcoming drives. Do you know about the one this Saturday to Chino? You can learn about it if you read through this thread:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341&page=1&pp=10

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for the reply Enzo BTR. I knew about last weekends Crystal Cove to Chino drive but had made previous arrangements to take by Boss 302 up to Willow Springs. Looking forward to heading down to Crystal Cove on a Saturday in the future. I hear I need to be there about 6:00am....true?