Key fob programming

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
This is probably a post that I will look back on with embarrassment, but oh well, here goes. I somehow managed to lose one of my keys along with the remote. I never left the house that day, so its here SOMEWHERE, its just hiding from me. So I ordered new key blanks and 2 new remotes. When I went to program the remotes with the usual "key on-off 8 times" etc procedure, it didn't work, even after trying it several times. And now the original remote doesnt work either, it just blinks twice when pressing the lock or unlock buttons, but nothing happens. If I go through the procedure, on the 8th turn I do hear 1 horn honk, and I hear it again when pressing a button on the 2 remotes (1 old and 1 new), but then after turning the ignition off and removing the key, nothing happens when pressing the remote except 2 blinks. And to make matters worse, now the door lock, unlock button inside the car does not function.

Is there a different procedure for these remotes vs the other Ford 3 and 4 button remotes? It certainly would not make sense. I was also wondering if there is a chip in the key head that would also need to be programed for the key to work, or can I just get the new key blank cut at a locksmith?

Hopefully someone here can save me the embarrassment, hassle, and expense of having to take this to someone for something so stupid.

Thanks......

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I haven't had to do this so no experience but did find this on pg 33 of the '05 owner's manual. If this is what you already tried, I don't have any other info, sorry. Good luck.
FGT manual pg 33 reprogram fob.png

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Oh, and then there's this at the bottom of the same page:
FGT manual pg 33 passive anti-theft system.png

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
yes, that is the procedure I am using. But now the fobs do not lock or unlock the car, and the interior lock/unlock buttons do not do anything.

VERY frustrating....

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I had to have the dealer send a tech to my house to program my new keys. Had them do 4 fobs while he was at it.

I was not able to get them to work doing it myself. Dealer said "they need to be programed using his laptop, the manual is wrong."

That is what I was told.

Reactions: 2112

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
You will need two programed keys to program additional keys with the owners manual procedure. I used forscan software to program additional keys, since I only had a single key with purchase, and did not want to take the car to the dealer. I think you should be able to add remotes with only one key.

Reactions: Nafod

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
and of course now that I screwed up the programming, I just found the missing key in the garage.

UGH

Reactions: Twturbo and GT@50

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Took it to Rick at Sarasota Ford and he figured out what was wrong. It seems the remotes I bought online were Fugazi, and didnt work. So he cut the 2 new keys for me, and provided 2 additional remotes. So now my car will have 4 keys and 4 remotes lol

Oh well, at least he did it while I wait, and I had to drive right past there anyways to go to the place I was dropping the car off for PPF install. So it wasnt even an extra trip.

Reactions: extrap

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
I brought mine to a Ford dealership for key and fob programming as well. Turns out they deleted my tune in the process. Something to think about if your car is tuned.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Thanks for sharing. We all learn form others frustrations as well as our own.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I brought mine to a Ford dealership for key and fob programming as well. Turns out they deleted my tune in the process. Something to think about if your car is tuned.

‘Yikes!

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
‘Yikes!

Double YIKES on that one. Did they do anything to resolve it or just say "oh well...."

TerryD

Jan 13, 2023
Terry, my name is Terry also. I will be moving to Sarasota soon, and I hope to purchase my GT by then. Can/will Sarasota Ford service your vehicle? Are they any good.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Not surprisingly, there are quite a few GT's in the Sarasota area. Rick at Sarasota Ford is a trusted and talented tech. The only issue is scheduling; he is kept very busy. Let us know when you're down here.

Vinithing

Apr 6, 2023
WI
Double YIKES on that one. Did they do anything to resolve it or just say "oh well...."
I didn’t even reach back out to them. I suppose I should have let them know about the tune but it never crossed my mind when I brought it in. I already have a new tune and the car is running great.

Reactions: onepunch

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Terry, my name is Terry also. I will be moving to Sarasota soon, and I hope to purchase my GT by then. Can/will Sarasota Ford service your vehicle? Are they any good.

Yes, Rick is very good, and has many good reviews on this site, and others.......