Just how unruly is the GT to drive?

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Okay guys, just how much of a handful is the GT to drive?

With no traction control and 550bhp, my guess would be that it's best to leave it in the garage on a wet day (which is fine); however, in dry, is it pretty well mannered? Do you have to push it to bite you, or is prone to slap you because you're looked at it the wrong way? :eek

Owners real world opinios based on experience... :thumbsup

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
It is not hard to drive at all

The only things hard about driving a GT are staying out of the way of SUVs with soccer moms jacked up on the cell phone, getting out of it the first time without knocking your head off and resisting the urge to crush the little rice rocket jerky boys that come up to you off and on the nitrous to get you to bite. This car is well behaved and well planned out such that traction control is where it should be, in the hands and feet of the driver.
nomis said:
Okay guys, just how much of a handful is the GT to drive?

With no traction control and 550bhp, my guess would be that it's best to leave it in the garage on a wet day (which is fine); however, in dry, is it pretty well mannered? Do you have to push it to bite you, or is prone to slap you because you're looked at it the wrong way? :eek

Owners real world opinios based on experience... :thumbsup

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You do not have to be overly prudent with driving the car. Punching it out of turn will cause the back end to break away, but not dangerously. The biggest problem is your own ego and the desire to show off related to your right foot and just how deep you bury the pedal. Usually once is enough. Not hard to get the hang of it. In tight traffic, the lack of rearward and side visibility are the worst attributes.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Not unruly at all. I have yet to drive mine in wet weather (yes, I'm a girl, I know it) and would treat it, as I would any powerful car in the wet, with considerable respect.

I found my Vanquish far more naughty on the road - indeed I recall overtaking someone I had been itching to get past on a country road and passing him sideways having put the car into 2nd gear and buried the throttle. Terrifying and embarrasing in equal measure. Fortunately we didn't touch - but it was close. And the Vanquish has all sorts of stablity controls and less bhp!

The GT has far more composure under hard acceleration than the Aston. However, straight wheels are prerequisite - otherwise you will get out of shape.

Show it prudence and respect and it's incredibly rewarding - as mentioned already, experiment (or show off) at your peril. It's a powerful beastie and aimed at those who want it raw. :biggrin

Looking forward to you FINALLY getting one. :wink

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The GT is very polite and civilized. It does what you want it to do, assuming you have the skill to do it. It does not make decisions for you. I am very impressed with how well conceived the car is. I do not plan to drive it in the rain, but I would not be concerned about doing so from the standpoint of control. I completely concur that the greatest threats when driving a GT is the abundance of truly poor drivers on streets and highways. (Although, admittedly, some of the pot holes, which I affectionately call "tank traps", can be a bit daunting.)

- doc

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I never planned on driving the GT in the rain, but have done it twice. The car has no problems in the rain, unless you try to accelerate or turn too fast for the conditions. The wipers work great. My biggest concern when driving any car in the rain is what the other drivers/cars will do. With the car being so low and visability poor it just takes one to driver to change lanes into you because he/she didn't see you.

I prefer to drive my old pickup in the rain. Easy for others to see me and if I get rear ended no big deal.

BlackICE

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The real issue is tire and road temperatures. If either or both are cool the rear end is easy to break loose.

Other than that the vehicle is not a problem to drive if you utilize any of the grey matter that should be located above your shoulders. If a driver lests ego or whatever get in the way the car is danagerous just like any other car under those circumstances.

Driving in the rain is a non-issue if you don't intend to set a alap record driving down the street.

Dave

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
thank you nomis...

Thank you, nomis, for asking the question I was afraid to ask! (I've lurked and leeched quite a bit for a non-owning wannabe, and I don't want to overstay my welcome...)

But I, also, pause for just a second when I hear all the glowing descriptions of the super-wide powerband and gobs of torque... Since I have only musclecar experience, I don't know from 180mph, but my 440 Charger has taught me what it's like to have your right foot write checks that your a$$ can't cash (!).

So I am pretty glad to hear what seems to be universal agreement on the civility of the GT.... :thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Charlie, I think the easiest description of the GT delivery, and the one most often used, is that the power delivery is very smooth and 'secure'. If you gently apply the power it is like the hand of God pushing you along - very addictive. There's no fragile feeling and no 'snap' unless you deliberately request it.

Being a left hand drive car and in a left hand driving country (here in the UK), overtaking is a little awkward - you don't get a clear view. But when you do - WHAM! You're past a line of cars in an instant - it's sort of scary in a funny way, there you are, pootling along at 40mph, get a clear view and you're off. The torque is incredible.

That's what makes the GT so much fun for me. I'm slightly off topic - but hope that gives you a feel.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
if you have never driven a 550 HP car, my best advice is to work into the GT's power slowly over many separate drives to become totally comfortable with the power. If you have driven a 550 HP car of the same or less approximate weight, you will probably find the GT the most forgiving car you have ever driven. On dry pavement, it is difficult to get in over your head (driving abilities) if you have reasonably good common sense. Respect the power and the GT will make you feel like a better driver than you probably are, regardless of your driving skills.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
cudacharlie said:
Thank you, nomis, for asking the question I was afraid to ask! (I've lurked and leeched quite a bit for a non-owning wannabe, and I don't want to overstay my welcome...)

I'm happy to be the social leper that asks the saddo questions! :biggrin

Glad to be of help :wink

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Kirby Vieira said:
if you have never driven a 550 HP car, my best advice is to work into the GT's power slowly over many separate drives to become totally comfortable with the power. If you have driven a 550 HP car of the same or less approximate weight, you will probably find the GT the most forgiving car you have ever driven. On dry pavement, it is difficult to get in over your head (driving abilities) if you have reasonably good common sense. Respect the power and the GT will make you feel like a better driver than you probably are, regardless of your driving skills.

As always, excellent information from everyone! (I just find it a shame that DBS isn't here to tell me about some horrific accident, depreciation or aliens landing to abduct GT owners...! :wink ).

The closest I have come to 550bhp is 528 in my E60 M5; however, it was filled with nanny-electronics.

I didn't feel that Neil's car was twitchy when he took me for a spirited drive, nor am I overly concerned (probably a healthy respect is closer to the truth) as I'll break myself into the car very carefully.

After all this time spent fretting over colours, the last thing I want to do is prang it! :willy :biggrin

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
GT - A Drivers Car

Nomis - You can take it for a safe drive in any weather conditions.

Ice and sleet may be the exceptions.

Very good in the rain - excellent wiper and washer system. Aerodynamics show their mettle starting at about 35 m.p.h. Clear mostly dry windows. Engine clam sheel stays pretty dry. Excellent tires in the wet. I've probably got at least 3,500 rain miles behind me. And a bit of snow for a couple of hundred miles.

As has been said before, the ultimate traction control system is availiable on the Ford GT - Brain in gear, Two hands on the wheel and the Driver controlling the right foot on the Go Pedal.

Make up your mind on the color. Soon we hope. You're spending way too much bandwidth on the Forum.Thanks again DBK. A million times.

Go for the light weight Tungsten paint + light weight wheels, no addtional weight adding color on the brake calipers, no mac, no racing stripes and side tape delete. You'll need to add Jay's lightened short throw shift ball. Take the car cover, battery tender and inflator system out of the boot. You'll then have the prettiest, lightest and thus the fastest Ford GT in the county you live in.

It helps to have really good medical insurance, or a bottle of asprin, until you learn not to hit your head getting out of the car.

Other than that - Drive it Like You Stole It. The GT permagrin will be yours to proudly wear.

Most Sincerely
Jeff

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Good question. The engineers at Ford have done a remarkable job in taming the 550 BHP on tap. The car is very linear and well behaved. It won’t do anything stupid by itself. Almost! (Ref. 930 Turbo’s) It’s very simple to drive respectably and any trouble ahead is communicated well before disaster strikes. You’re in command. Pay attention and feel the feedback. I have not driven it in the rain – but I would imagine those wide tires could be a handful in a down pour. Beware of puddles and standing water. As stated, the biggest problem is other vehicles seeing you and not crowding you to get a closer look. Do a few track days with an instructor and it will pay dividends on the street.

Gordo.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
PL510*Jeff said:
Make up your mind on the color. Soon we hope. You're spending way too much bandwidth on the Forum.Thanks again DBK. A million times.

Jeff, that decision was made on Tuesday! :wink

Thanks for your advice and to DBK for running such a helpful site, full of good information and great people! :cheers

As for being a GT-head-virgin... I have a nice line creased under my hair line, on the top of my head, from my first meeting with a GT door 2-weeks back. A lesson I don't need/want to learn twice. While it hurt at the time, the lingering pain was a great teacher and thus, I'll be more careful next time.

As for the GT being so well balanced and manageable, that is good news. I'm afraid I've grown up in an age where all of my high powered cars have had some form of electronic safety net and even with them turned off, they still seem to fade in and never allow you to control the car with skill but rather make you rely computer chips. I’m not the best driver in the world – nor the worst – however, I’m glad the GT sounds like it’s semi-forgiving as I’d like to learn to improve both on-road and on track.

Gordo, as above - I agree that good instruction is important (if not essential on track) :thumbsup

As a side note, and I'm sure this has be raised before, but I'd be happy to chip in and donate toward the bandwidth and hosting costs associated with this site. It's not uncommon for members to donate to a running fund, so if DBK would accept, I'd be pleased to help out (as I'm sure others would be).

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think what may have been the reason some owners have gotten into big trouble is the car appears to be so docile and tame. It is easy to drive, but like all cars has limits.