I hope this is not true !!

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
When Ford brought the Explorer over here in Right hand drive, they had a spate of bad accidents with stuck throttles: turns out the floor mat was lodging on top of the pedal (same set as the LHD model). So they recalled them, promising us a loan unit while they fitted the mats (the new ones had turn buckles fitted so they couldn't move).

They loaned me the dealer prinicpal's Explorere for the day: driving down the road, the pedal stuck! There I was, screaming up the street, scaring the local ladies out shopping. Shifted to Neutral, killed the engine. Looked down....floor mat on the pedal! Typical Ford dealer: hadn't got round to doing their own vehicle. Doh!

When I returned it and told them what happened, I just got a shrug of the shoulders. Unfortunately for them, the Brand Manager is a personal friend of mine: what a bollocking they got.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Can't resist jumping into the pool on this one! The writing is on the wall here, driver error. I'll never forget totally losing control of my !st Viper back in '02. I'm man enough to admit that I wasn't expecting the car to "break loose" when it did (at about 110 mph in a corner) and it scared the crap out of me because it was not a contolled enviroment where run off areas will save you. This was on a local four lane road (see the Enzo wreck) with trees and telephone poles abound. I was lucky, didn't hit anything and the only thing bruised was my ego. I've been running race bikes for years so speed certainly isn't an issue, it's the enviroment that you use it. Also can't say I'm innocent today when it comes to pushing it a little, I just pick my spots more carefully.

Second thought is that Ford would have got a bulletin out immediately if this was a true concern. Their is no way they would have kept this quiet and jeopardized the whole reputation of the company. Could you imagine if someone was killed and this supposed law suit was pending. I'm sure they wouldn't allow that to happen. Just my opinion...BD40

Extra stuff. What about this guys! Most of us have other toys and I for one can tell you that the pedals on all of my cars are somewhat different. Is it possible that this fella has a few cars and just got crossed up while pedaling the car. I know that when I get in my Cobra it takes a little adjusting to get the feel after having driven the GT. Cobra tunnel is very wide and the offset on the pedals is very different then the GT. Just a thought.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bought last year a AMC Gremlin V8, simply because it was so ugly and fasssst.
Even with the name GREMLIN it has yet to do anything strange other than mark it's terrority in the garage with a rear main drip... :rofl

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Thank you everyone for your input re: all of the technical reasons why this incident (if it happened) was most likely driver error & not a GT malfunction – a relief for anyone who was initially concerned.

Still a few questions remain. Did the accident happen? Is there a lawsuit re: this crash? Are there really 4 other documented cases where (whether driver error or not) this same type of situation occurred? Per K-P Garage’s request, I have looked further into this matter.

There has been NO lawsuit filed re: this matter (this is public record & I had our paralegal look it up). Furthermore, I have spoken with several people at Ford who said they would know if there was a lawsuit such as this & they didn’t. Therefore, it would appear the “major lawsuit” against Ford Motor Company is nothing more than a lie.

I have also used this Forum, Naples Daily News, & the Internet to identify any accidents that have happened with a Ford GT. There was no mention of anything in the local newspaper re: a GT crash from 7/05 – 7/06. I would think that if there was a major crash w/an exotic & 2 people were injured (and a lawsuit resulted), that it would at the very least be mentioned in the paper, but there was nothing. There were plenty of GT wrecks (or minor crashes) mentioned on the Internet, many that you are already familiar with. None of these occurred near Naples, FL, & after reading the articles, none that I found could even remotely fit in with this “revving on its own” problem.

Finally, if there was a lawsuit pending on this (especially if there were 4 known similar cases), the attorney representing the Plaintiff would no doubt try to locate as many Ford GT owners as they could to have their vehicles tested, in the hopes of finding more cars w/this malfunction (ie, 15 $200,000 cars w/problems would be much more profitable for an attorney than a single car). However, this has not happened.

I can’t give you a 100% answer, but based on the above it looks like the crash, the 4 documented cases, & the lawsuit were all nothing more than a story fabricated by someone who either can’t afford a GT or is trying unsuccessfully to lower their value w/these stories. :frown There is a slight chance that I am wrong, but either way I think we can be fairly sure that the crash was not a GT malfunction based on all of the other posts here…

MJ

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Maybe it was a Lambo or Ferrari and people just got mixed up, kind of like DBS and his negativity. Good to hear in the long run. Thanks Piccola for the leg work. Owe you one in Detroit if you make it flying in the plane with all those wolves!

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Sounds like :bs to me! Here is a link to another wreck that I think may be similar to what happened to this driver (if it happened at all??), if he was showing off.
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gt40/fordgt_20060122_003.shtml
My wife wrecked her Lexus by pressing down on the accelerator (instead of the brake...happens quite frequently).
But I don't believe this story at all.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Cycle, this was re-purchased in New Zealand and is being converted to a true racer. GTJoey says these racers are coming to the rally. FYI

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
guess I was wrong & the wreck did happen (see new thread from JT).

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Interestingly enough, I just took out mine this evening, first time in a couple of weeks. Got in and thought pedals felt funny, couldn't even push the clutch down. Duh ... had right foot on the clutch instead of the brake and left foot on the faux pedal/foot rest. :bored The faux pedal does not push down!

Jeez ... talk about feeling like a idiot ... at least I hadn't started the car yet.

Did take it out on the 4-lane for a quick 160 mph (new high for me), might also have been stupid, but felt great ... forgot about the whole misplaced pedal thing until reading this thread!:willy

Sure sounds like driver error to me.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
fjpikul said:
Cycle, this was re-purchased in New Zealand and is being converted to a true racer. GTJoey says these racers are coming to the rally. FYI

Interesting. Obviously, I certainly believe this crash in New Zealand happened (eg. pictures)...I am just not so sure I believe the story of the wreck and claimed lawsuit that started this thread.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Something is just not right here

We are all forgetting one piece of very compelling evidence, or rather the lack of evidence. If this wreck occurred, why aren't those pieces in the GTJOEY barn? :confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good point!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I don't think you would lose a motor if you full throttled it and pressed in the clutch. At least all of the TEXAS gt's have this piece of technology called a rev limiter. Once you bounce off the limiter you should have time to find the key and shut it off. Maybe we need to do drills at the rally.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
good point

Silverbullitt- You have a good point about the rev limiter. Assuming that is working and not allegedly malfunctioning as well that should protect the engine. I must admit I would be thinking if I get on the left pedal I will watch the tach bounce off the right peg and that would be that.
Frankly I am more concerned about those axle bolts than anything on this thread.