How much would you pay a friend to check out a car?

How much

• $50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • $150

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $200

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I am interested in a Tungsten Ford GT currently on BringaTrailer.

Since the car is in Canada, I am trying to have my friend from high school check the car to see how the paint quality is and etc.

Tell me I am crazy but I am obsessed with rock chips and etc because I know once there is a rock chip through the paint, no amount of touch up will make it perfect and will always leave an ugly blob or divot.

Anyways, I want my friend to very thoroughly check the paint and take photos of all areas with potential rock chips and etc.

How much would you guys pay your friend if you were in my shoes? He lives about 10 min away from the car and we are not super close so I do want to pay him for the trouble.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Ideally have him facetime you as he’s looking at it, so you can direct him as to what to look at.

Just say “I really appreciate this, I want to buy you and your wife a nice dinner.”

$200 seems ok.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
$5000 Canadian dollars (isn't that about $3.00 US?).

Reactions: drilling

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I dunno but with a $400k car don't be a cheap ass!! 😁 Could range anywhere from $0 cuz you're close enough friends that he'll just do it and wouldn't accept the money anyway ... to, if any money at all is changing hands, it could be as high as $1000 or more, cuz just think lots of people make $300/ hr (or more), and 2 hours is already $600. Are you two close enough that you expect him to spend 2 hours of his life doing something for you for less than his usual hourly rate? Just talking hypothetically. But prob only you can really answer this. Good luck!

Reactions: 289 4spd and 2112

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I guess I don't understand. YOu are super worried about buying this car, for big money, why not go look at it in person?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
I guess I don't understand. YOu are super worried about buying this car, for big money, why not go look at it in person?
Expired Canadian passport + i just dont have the time to check out a car that i am not guaranteed to win.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
OK, I'd offer him $1,000 and go from there. $1,000 for a $400k item is 1/4%, so actually even that sounds cheap.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
For $1000 I would not ask a friend to do it. I would engage a professional inspector and get a full PPI. Preferably someone who does a lot of GTs and knows what to look for.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Why not pay a professional? The guy that bought an 06 I had sent someone who was unbelievably thorough, he spent the entire day poring over the car and took about 1500 paint thickness measurements. A friend's inspection can be great (thanks Indy, thanks Terry!) But is it worth being cheapo on a $400k vehicle?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Why not pay a professional? The guy that bought an 06 I had sent someone who was unbelievably thorough, he spent the entire day poring over the car and took about 1500 paint thickness measurements. A friend's inspection can be great (thanks Indy, thanks Terry!) But is it worth being cheapo on a $400k vehicle?

It is hard to arrange $1000 inspection on Bringatrailer vehicle where 1) there is no guarantee of winning 2) find an inspector in a week.

Too late for this tungsten car anyways.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I
It is hard to arrange $1000 inspection on Bringatrailer vehicle where 1) there is no guarantee of winning 2) find an inspector in a week.

Too late for this tungsten car anyways.

True,

Maybe have an expert on a retainer and buy him a plane ticket the say you see a car go up??

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The tungsten car didn't reach reserve, so it's probably still available, if you can find out who the owner is.