GT500 KR Price

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
I recently read something that when asked about the new KR and 1000 units, CS made a comment about possibly making the number more like 1400 plus, to commemorate the original 68KR build.

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Gentlemen,

There will be 1000 King of the Roads built during the 2008 model year. There will be somewhere between 500 and 1500 Super Snakes built during that same time period. The KR may well become more common than the SS and it will have 60 less horsepower(minimum), smaller wheels and tires, and will lack some other high-grade components that will be included on the SS. As the cost of the SS conversion is $28,000 and Ford GT500's are now available at some dealerships (many more soon) at MSRP ($42,000), for a total of approximately $70,000, that's the most I think a prudent man would spend for a GT500KR. If you just have to have a KR, the last ones produced will be a whole lot cheaper than the first ones produced. Please feel free to shoot holes in my thinking here and tell me where I'm wrong. Perhaps I'm missing something. As for me, Muscle Motors Whipple conversion combined with Ford Racing suspension upgrades looks most attractive.

Chip

Chip,

As you know I totally agree with you. You are not missing anything! The SS will be a better package and less expensive because it is not going through the dealer system like the KR and IF these things are worth anything in the future, the SS will be worth more than the KR.

Two reasons; 1. Because the SS most likely will not reach it's 1000 pr year goal (only 100 or so on the 2008 list right now) and 2. the SS equipment package has more features:biggrin

rsvdhd

Permanent Vacation
Oct 6, 2007
Chip,

As you know I totally agree with you. You are not missing anything! The SS will be a better package and less expensive because it is not going through the dealer system like the KR and IF these things are worth anything in the future, the SS will be worth more than the KR.

Two reasons; 1. Because the SS most likely will not reach it's 1000 pr year goal (only 100 or so on the 2008 list right now) and 2. the SS equipment package has more features:biggrin

So I would say the dealer KR will be worth more for sure. The SS is a modified car at the end of the day. It's like buying a Porsche with Gambala or Mercedes with Brabus - it's not the same as buying an original. Just my opinion based on my collection of investment vehicles.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
KR is a modified GT500

So I would say the dealer KR will be worth more for sure. The SS is a modified car at the end of the day. It's like buying a Porsche with Gambala or Mercedes with Brabus - it's not the same as buying an original. Just my opinion based on my collection of investment vehicles.

I believe a better comparison would be buying a Mercedes from AMG. The mods to make a GT500 into a KR will be done in Shelbys Las Vegas facility. The mods to make a GT500 into the SS are done by the same people at the same Shelby facility in Las Vegas using a number of the same components. What's the difference? The 65, 66, and 67 GT350's are "modified cars" done in a Shelby workshop and they are worth as much or more than the "in house" built 68-70 GT350's. The current Shelby GT is a "modified car" also converted in that Las Vegas shop. The original Super Snake was a stock Cobra modified in Shelby's shop. It sold last year for 5-10 times the value of an unmodified Cobra. JMO

Chip

MG0427

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Central Florida
I think the difference is that it not coming (the SS) from the dealer. It's more aftermarket. I still think the KR will more collectable, then the SS. ALthough the SS will outperform it. My 2 cents.

Mg

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I think the difference is that it not coming (the SS) from the dealer. It's more aftermarket. I still think the KR will more collectable, then the SS. ALthough the SS will outperform it. My 2 cents.

Mg

The KR & SS are made at the same location by the same people SHELBY. Both cars have Shelby VIN #s and are on the SAI's Shelby registry. Both cars are signed by Shelby.

Shelby had to make a deal with Ford in order to get Ford's offical blessing to sell modified cars as new and with a Ford warranty. The deal is, dealers get to sell his modified KR's as long as Shelby gets to sell the Step Up car the SS. In the future both cars will have offical Shelby VIN #s and no one will remember which cars sold through the dealers (except the ones who over paid).

The only reason why the KR's may sell for more $$$ than the SS is because of Dealer greed.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Both buyer and seller must agree to any price.

The only reason why the KR's may sell for more $$$ than the SS is because of Dealer greed.

I prefer to think of it as "Customer Enthusiasm". Half of all Ford Dealers are operating in the red today. They aren't making any money on a lot of their product line and accept the verdict of the marketplace when they take the loss. I wouldn't begrudge them a healthy profit on those few products that the marketplace deems most valuable. I have posted before that there are only two ways to allocate any scarce commodity. With a price or with a line. Force dealers to sell at MSRP and a line forms with only one out of every 20 people that want a KR able to buy one. Let the price seek its own level in the marketplace and the KR will be available to all and sold to those who value them the most.

The other day Alan Mullally was asked if he was confident the Ford Motor Company would be able to turn the ship around before they ran out of cash. His one-word answer stunned many that heard it. He answered, "No". He took some heat for it but I believe his was the proper answer, this is not a sure thing and it should light a fire under the butts of all involved in the Ford Motor Company. One out of three Ford dealerships needs to be put out of business for the remaining dealerships to survive with reasonable volume levels. For my sake as I am a big Ford fan, I hope Ford and their dealers can turn a profit on desirable products and survive for another hundred years.

Chip

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I hope Ford and their dealers can turn a profit on desirable products and survive for another hundred years.

Chip[/QUOTE]

Chip,

I am also a big Ford fan. When you put this in the right context, I stand corrected:cheers

Automotive8r

Feb 8, 2007
I know of a few people that are very willing to pay $60k over MSRP for the GT500KR. But, that is to get one of the first ones avail. I'm sure it will drop to $10k-$20k in a year or so after a bunch are out there.