GT500 conversion to Super Snake

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone gone the route with a conversion of their GT500 to a Super Snake? Dealer has an '08 he is probably going to be interested in getting off the showroom floor at a discount. Got that old, "need another car" urge. Anyone here gone through the process of super snake coversion at Shelby in Las Vegas? If so, how long did it take and how much dough did it cost? If you have a photo of the engine bay before and after, that would be of interest.

Oh and your comments if you would do it again, also would be appreciated.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Rick (Shelby#18) has had the conversions done on a couple of his cars.:cheers

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I waited almost a year to get mine done and just gave up. The assembly line is moving now though. The 705 HP upgrade costs about 34K (no warranty when complete) and the 600 HP upgrade costs about 31K - taxs, shipping etc.

drof gt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 10, 2006
Los Angeles
It took about 2 years from the date I made my deposit to the day I received the car. I read on the team shelby forum that production has really picked up on the SS, as they have finished doing the KR's. There are pictures all over that forum of every angle of the car. I apparently only took pictures of the outside. You'll be able to get the options they added last week, big rear brakes, most important the cooling upgrade and there are more new options. It's a blast to drive, although I have not taken it to the track yet.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
According to the website, they now have an authorized facility in Texas doing the work also. Turnaround seems to have decreased significantly.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Atomic, I did have one made into an SS early on. Car went in on Jan 2nd., came back May 2nd.. Currently Shelby in Vegas has approx. 200 cars being converted. They have added a lot more lifts for the conversion. One thing I would recommend is going with the Ford racing suspension. The Shelby/Eibach is teeth chattering on our expansion joints out here.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
According to the website, they now have an authorized facility in Texas doing the work also. Turnaround seems to have decreased significantly.

Yeah, for you it is at my house.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Bullitt! Hey, by the way, aren't you involved in any banking scams of any kind? Thought maybe you'd end up working at the Shelby plant in Vegas with the rest of the convicts.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
SS Shelby

I did have one done for a movie last year. Vegas couldn't do it because of the many orders they had received. I was told as of march 1st, 2008, they had 1275 orders. After speaking to Carroll himself, he made it happen. He elected to send the car to Tasca Ford in RI, and actually this car became the prototype for Tasca doing conversions for the SS Shelby. The car was done inside of a month........As I get permission, I will post a video, part of the movie, which actually can almost be a long commercial for the Super Snake Shelby. I personally love the car....

Gino

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Atomic, I did have one made into an SS early on. Car went in on Jan 2nd., came back May 2nd.. Currently Shelby in Vegas has approx. 200 cars being converted. They have added a lot more lifts for the conversion. One thing I would recommend is going with the Ford racing suspension. The Shelby/Eibach is teeth chattering on our expansion joints out here.

I'd second that....The Eibach suspenders is hard beyond belief. Great on a smooth road if you can find one here in the lousy UK.

Mine was delivered here in about August last year from Tasca.

HAve to say that the quality of some of the fittings is very poor. Bubbles in the stripe, terrible hood that cant cope with the pins doing their job and plenty more.

Had it on track for 3 laps before I had to retire with horrific brake judder which turned out to be warped discs. Car handle well though.

Now away having a brake upgrade with some bigger AP discs.

Strangly enough though I love the car.

002-2.jpg

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Good one Bullitt! Hey, by the way, aren't you involved in any banking scams of any kind? Thought maybe you'd end up working at the Shelby plant in Vegas with the rest of the convicts.

I think I'll ger fewer years than selling organs on the black market. hint hint:ack