GT Guy hatch release

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I just installed mine but for some reason the drivers side latch isn't catching. There doesn't seem to be much adjustment possible. Any tips?

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
If you mean you can't get the clamshell to latch full closed, some cars require that the chassis latch side be shimmed up to engage the clamshell catch. Your latch may have been very close before and when you added the GTG release you moved just beyond the limit.

Or maybe you mean the safety catch does not snag the ring. ??

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I haven't actually tried to close it all the way. I should probably try that. :)

It's the latch on the GTG release that isn't engaging on the drivers side.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The lock and the safety catch are independent. Sounds like the safety catch is not snagging the D ring. D ring is not adjustable, you'll need to slid the GTG catch forward in its mounting bolts on that side best you can so the hook catches the D ring. Worse case you may need to elongate the mounting holes in the GTG release catch mount on that side so it will move fwd far enough to catch. Shouldn't be to big a deal. Good luck.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Ya, safety catch is the word I was looking for. I tried to adjust it as far forward as possible but no dice. I'll elongate the holes.

Thanks
Rob

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Before you do that, maaybe first try looking through the rear glass with it shut and see if you can see where the catch is. See how far off it is. Something maybe keeping it from swinging forward enough to catch.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I can see it before the hood closes all the way...it just isn't grabbing the latch to keep it from opening. It slips right over it when I pull the hood back up.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It could be the other side prevent it from closing. How about moving the other side further away?

Mine works great. It a nice addition even though I am tall enough to reach both OEM latches from one side of the car.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Best invention yet!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Best invention yet!
:agree: Ron for you it would be a BIGGER deal. :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Why not call the GT Guys and get it from the horses mouth?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I didn't want to bother them on a weekend if they even answered (which I don't blame them if they don't, I wouldn't)

I figured someone here maybe experienced the same issue and knew a simple solution. I'll try adjusting the other side Ice...thanks.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Sight across the two hooks, it is possible the assembly got bent or twisted in shipment and the hooks are no longer aligned with each other. Just looking at mine and guessing here. It works very well, was one of my first mods.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Best invention yet!

The seat slider lever may beat it. :)

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I removed it again and eyeballed the bottom of the brackets...definitely tweaked a bit. I smacked it with a 5 pound hammer a few times and it seems to be working correctly now.

(just kidding about the 5 pound hammer)

Also this was never a slam on the GTG's...I know it's a good product...just didn't want to fit correctly on the first try. I can actually open the clamshell without it but I have to put one foot in the seat to do it and I know over time that's going to damage it.

Now to put on my seat slider bar!