Got a ride today in a "special" 1968 Mustang Coupe

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Being stationed in Norfolk for almost two years I have run out of things to do down there. I have seriously been considering putting on the Griggs suspension for the GT500 and decided that since it was such a nice weekend maybe I would take a little road trip. So yesterday I drove up here, got a room and spent the night. I got up this morning and headed over to the place up here in Richmond that does the Griggs suspension. Two of the employees were gone for the weekend to attend a wedding, but I got to meet Don who does most of the suspension work. After a nice long talk, him having the patience for all my questions and getting to look at a bunch of cool Mustangs he offered to give me a ride in his personal 1968 Mustang Coupe with full Griggs suspension (yes it can be done but not cheap). All I can say about the ride is WHOA! That was the most exciting 15-20 minutes I have ever spent in a car. That little old 'Stang would smoke my GT500 in the corners. I definitely think this is my next upgrade. Here are some pictures of Don's Mustang and he gave me permission to post them. I hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

• DSCF0036.jpg
    DSCF0036.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 25,655
  • DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,218

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks for your service to the country, '53. :thumbsup:thumbsup :cheers

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Thanks for your service to the country, '53. :thumbsup:thumbsup :cheers

You're welcome and anyone ever wants to come out this way and see a 53 up close and personal, let me know.:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Matt,
Is Marine 1 and a '53 from the same family?
Again, thank you and your fellow men and women for all what you do....

oh yeah,... bad ass 'stang, is that your Shelby?

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Matt,
Is Marine 1 and a '53 from the same family?
Again, thank you and your fellow men and women for all what you do....

oh yeah,... bad ass 'stang, is that your Shelby?

Daniel,

Marine 1 is the callsign of any Marine helicopter that POTUS is riding in...traditionally the white top H-3's you see him arriving/departing in at the South Lawn. The H-3 is made by Sikorsky, the same company that makes the 53.

That is my Shelby! I had to get a picture of her next to the '68. I have never pulled lateral G's in a car like I did today...reminded me of flying in a high performance aircraft. We embarrassed a guy in a new 911 pretty bad today. Want to hear a good quote I saw on the Griggs GR40 flyer today?

"Those wankers in the Porsche turbos are still in therapy wondering how a Mustang could cruise around the outside of them...":biggrin

Last edited:

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
That little old 'Stang would smoke my GT500 in the corners. I definitely think this is my next upgrade.

Good call, you won't be disappointed. I'm awaiting completion of my trusty college ride, a '91 Mustang notchback, that is being rejuvenated with a twin turbo 331 and a full Griggs suspension. After being in several Griggs cars...and chatting extensively with Bruce Griggs himself, I've been very impressed.