Gen 2 Whipple upgrade results

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
The heat exchanger in the GT is already significantly larger than the one pictured for the Lightning. What would really be slick is be a clutch that could engage and disengage the supercharger so it only runs when you need boost. Mercedes Benz has implemented this into their newe cars. I expect one of you to have this sorted out by morning.:wink

I think this clutch system would solve the problem of sctt setups. the older mercs have this too my sl55 utilizes this type of clutch on the sc.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think this clutch system would solve the problem of sctt setups. the older mercs have this too my sl55 utilizes this type of clutch on the sc.

Not really the twin screws have tight clearances and a non-spinning supercharger would be a huge obstruction to airflow. Since we are talking pie in the sky solutions, the ideal one for a sctt would be a CVT drive for the supercharger. I think Jason or John should have a prototype done by the end of the month.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I hate to be the first to point this out but the best solution is twin turbos.:lol

No heat problems and 850 hp on pump gas. :thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Not really the twin screws have tight clearances and a non-spinning supercharger would be a huge obstruction to airflow. Since we are talking pie in the sky solutions, the ideal one for a sctt would be a CVT drive for the supercharger. I think Jason or John should have a prototype done by the end of the month.

oh but there is a bypass valve on the sc assembly that can be used to reroute the air once the supercharger goes offline, this valve can be controlled via a solinoid/vacum, or even electronically, the bottom plate for the whipple can be removed and a bigger butterfly valve can be machined and installed this way whe you get on the throttle the butterfly closes all the air goes to the motor via the sc(normal operation) and at a given boost level when the turbos start to come on then the clutch on the sc will disingage and the butterfly would open to allow the air from the turbos to be redirected past the sc in the motor, I have thought about this set up, theoretically it would be the best of both worlds add to that a couple small air to air intercooler before the turbos pump the air in the motor and well you would have a true monster, now for the R&D on this set up I just dont have the time, patience, or money to follow, if someone would come up with the clutch pulley set up on the sc the rest would be easy, as I recall the 95-96 stallion mustang that john colletti built had a clutch type sc pulley on it, so this technology is in fords arsenal we just have to get our hand on it.:cheers

seeing as how you can control when everything happens on this set up (when to open the bypass valve and allow the turbos to come on line), theoretically you can put huge turbos on and make gobs of power up high and you would never have to worry about the down low and as for heat since the sc will only be operating in the lower rpm range before enough boost is made by the turbos then there should be less heat generated from the blower. the blower will probably not spin past 5000 rpms, so it would not generate the heat of a blower spining to 7000

there I just solved everyones problems:biggrin

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I'm subscribing to this thread so I remember to read it when I am sober later.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Did not help me at all Kumar! :willy