Front Trunk Installation

Quicksilver

Aug 26, 2006
Longwood, FL
I removed the front trunk to resolve some factory paint issues. Big mistake! The 4 bolts, which are a special hex head type, are easy to remove, but when I removed the nuts, which unbelievably are not fixed, fell down, after removing the trunk, between two panels. It appears the best way to retrieve these, and get the trunk re-installed, are by removing the headlights. If someone knows a better way I would like to find out. If not, I need information on removing the headlights. Thanks!

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
You may have to remove the fender splash shields instead.

First, I highly recommend getting your hands on the Ford Workshop Manual. Anyway, you will first have to remove the wheel. This will allow you to remove the fender splash shield which should give you the access you need. The fender splash shield is held in place by eight screws. Then it is a matter of positioning the shield so that you can rotate it out of the fender well. This information is found in the Ford Workshop Manual (page 501-02-3) which I am looking at as I post this information to you.

Had you removed the six "Hinge to hood nuts" as well as the support struts, and with the aid of an assistant, you could have removed the hood without disturbing the four hex bolts.

I have been trying to better align the hood, which I have found to be a tedious process. When the stripes are in alignment, the gaps are not even on both sides of the hood. I am not impressed with this part of Saleen's build process, at least for my car. My SPF Cobra has much better panel fit. Still love the GT just the same. Keep us posted on your progress.