Ford Suing Ferrari over F150 name

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Silly as it may sound, trademark law is a curious thing, and Ford is moving to stop use of the F150 name (though note the lack of hyphenation) used by Ferrari for its latest Formula 1 car. The name was chosen by the Italian firm to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the country's unification.

Ford, however, doesn't appear to care about the justification. Instead, it's seeking an injunction against Ferrari to stop use of the name, protecting a mark of tremendous value to the company. Under trademark law--depending where and how the suit is brought--allowing infringement in even innocuous cases might constitute abandonment, voiding future suits against other, more objectionable, uses.

Neither Ford nor Ferrari have released official statements on the matter. We'll keep you posted as the situation develops. Considering the outcome of the most recent Ford vs Ferrari confrontation, we're expecting the Blue Oval to come out on top.

Can't believe Ferrari really thought they'd let it slide. Ferrari on left, Ford on right.

6a00d83451b3c669e20147e2744e0d970b-800wi

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Couldn't help but to look that one up:
"Considering the outcome of the most recent Ford vs Ferrari confrontation, we're expecting the Blue Oval to come out on top."

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1054896_close-up-images-of-ferrari-458-italia-and-ford-f-150-crash

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I always wondered how GM got away with calling Pontiac's muscle car a "GTO".

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
The love affair contunues.
Last time this happened the beloved ford gt 40 was born.
It has been said history repeats itself.
The only logical conclusion is ford is going F1 racing.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
"Considering the outcome of the most recent Ford vs Ferrari confrontation, we're expecting the Blue Oval to come out on top."

So there you have it, the rumor is TRUE. Proof positive that rumors of the GT Hybrid must be founded in fact. Heck, everybody knows the history of Ford vs. Ferrari, you can't possibly declare victory without a race, and for that you need the new GT Hybrid!! :cool

With apologies to GT Drummer, 'winning' in court is so passe by comparison.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

May not have been Trademarked at the time.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

I believe the reference was to a particular 'classification' in racing - Gran Turismo Omologato. Therefore Ferrari also borrowed the name.....like Daytona

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Makes sense.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I'm sorry, but Ferrari has a different numerical designation each year's F1 race car, so next year it will be called something else. And, no one is going to confuse a Ford truck with a Ferrari F1 race car. The F150 also does not designate a Ferrari product available for sale to the public. That lawsuit is really quite silly. I guess Honda should have sued Ferrari over the F2000. Ford is lucky Ferrari changed it slightly to save everyone the hassle over this. If Ferrari had been making a truck, Ford would have a case, but they're not.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I wonder why Ferrari caved. I'm sure those I-tal-i-ans would have received a fair shake from a Detroit jury :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...I'm sure those I-tal-i-ans would have received a fair shake from a Detroit jury :)

Ask Sergio Marchionne if that influences how he manages Chrysler.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Top Gear BBC addressed this topic on tomights show. Besides their personal opinion, they did say that Ferrari has made the change.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Good read and a great response from F on "why" they changed the name. It's on their web site.

Something mentioned about who could ever confuse a Ferrari with a pickup truck.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
name is a name and I for one agree with Ford on this case... mistaken identity or not...

wish they would have used any settlement money and damages if Ferrari had taken them to the mat to finance the next Ford Supercar :biggrin